Banned

1999 Merc 200 2.5 EFI Oil Use

Hi, is there a way to test this system? Basically I don't think I'm using enough oil.

2. Member
    If you have the service manual, there is a test you can do. Measure the amount of oil pumped at a specific RPM for a specific period of time.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Member
    The oil pump is powered by the engine crank shaft and for every 2 revolutions of the crank the oil pump shaft rotates once . There is a rotation sensor monitoring the oil pump rotation and if it does not sense the 2: 1 crank to pump relationship it is supposed to generate the warning beeper . At idle the oil pump is supposed to deliver something like a 100: 1 oil mixture ratio. I found these numbers online and can't really vouch for the accuracy . At Idle a 200 EFI is supposed to burn 1.3 gallons of fuel per hour . 1 .3 gal = 166.4 oz's of fuel . 166.4 / 100 = 1.66 ozs of oil per hour @ 100:1 ratio
    At 3500 rpm a 200 EFI is supposed to burn 15 gallons of fuel per hour at a 50:1 oil ratio 15 gallons x 128 oz = 1920 oz (1920 / 50 = 38.4 ozs of oil per hour @ 50:1 ) . You can divide your results by 60 to determine how many ounces of oil per minute . You can premix some fuel in a portable tank to fuel your motor and unplug the oil line from the pump and put it a measuring cup to measure how much oil is being pumped at what rpm.

Or to be safe you could start premixing

4. Member
    ^^^^^^+1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kls2020 View Post
    The oil pump is powered by the engine crank shaft and for every 2 revolutions of the crank the oil pump shaft rotates once . There is a rotation sensor monitoring the oil pump rotation and if it does not sense the 2: 1 crank to pump relationship it is supposed to generate the warning beeper . At idle the oil pump is supposed to deliver something like a 100: 1 oil mixture ratio. I found these numbers online and can't really vouch for the accuracy . At Idle a 200 EFI is supposed to burn 1.3 gallons of fuel per hour . 1 .3 gal = 166.4 oz's of fuel . 166.4 / 100 = 1.66 ozs of oil per hour @ 100:1 ratio
    At 3500 rpm a 200 EFI is supposed to burn 15 gallons of fuel per hour at a 50:1 oil ratio 15 gallons x 128 oz = 1920 oz (1920 / 50 = 38.4 ozs of oil per hour @ 50:1 ) . You can divide your results by 60 to determine how many ounces of oil per minute . You can premix some fuel in a portable tank to fuel your motor and unplug the oil line from the pump and put it a measuring cup to measure how much oil is being pumped at what rpm.

Or to be safe you could start premixing

Good info, thanks!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also... your 2.5L engine model is covered in the next forum down the list.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor