Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Favorite basscat with the trolling motor down

Looking for a under 21 ft boat that is really stable with the trolling motor down and good with Big water. New versions of cats please!

2. Member
    2019 BassCat Pantera II
    2019 200 HP Mercury ProXS 4 Stroke

You asked about new versions, though we would consider a Puma FTD model.

4. Member
    I have owned 2 Cougar Ftd's and 1 Puma.
    Bought a Caracal 18 months ago and with the
    trolling motor down Caracal hands down.

5. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I've had two CougarFTD's, a Baycat and now a Caracal. All of them were fine with the trolling motor down, with the exception of the Baycat.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

6. Member
    Puma FTD is my choice

7. Member
    Sorry, but what is meant "with trolling motor down" ?
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCat'99 View Post
    Sorry, but what is meant "with trolling motor down" ?
    When the boat becomes a fishing platform (trolling motor down), instead of a running (Point A to Point B) platform.

9. Member
    thanks, not the sharpest this morning. Mine would be my classic but sure would like to try a caracal.
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

10. Member
    I can attest that the Eyra is the best “troller down” boat I’ve owned. In particular, the thing slides off stumps like it’s got grease on it. If you fish just open water and no tight cover, this may not be important to you. But I know of no other boat that frees itself from stumps better than the Eyra.

To add to that, it’s a phenomenal rough water hull also.

11. Member
    If the puma FTd could move the trolling motor pedal back that might be a consideration . But that is not an option

12. Member
    Being you want a later model boat with an adjustable TM pedal, your selection will be out of the two mentioned above.
    Lynx and Caracal.
    Only other model with an adjustable TM pedal is the Eyra, which is by far the most responsive to the TM down out of all the 20 footers.
    However if side to side stability is what your really wanting out your rig, stick with the two mentioned above!!
    If possible, try and find owners in your area. You need to drive and work the TM on each. You wont regret moving to a BCB!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

13. BBC SPONSOR
    The caracal takes my vote, then again, I own a 2019 model caracal and I love it.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    I've run several different BCs. The last two have been Eyras. The one before was a Puma FTD. I've never measure, but I think the Puma's TM was already set back a bit further than the "back" setting of the Eyra. I'll agree with blakesfav - the Eyra is better is close quarters. In open water, I don't know that I saw much difference, but the Puma would hold in the wind a bit better (pre-Ultrex for me).

One other item that is really nice for rough water is the surprisingly low plane speed I can maintain ~18 mph in the new Eyra. I was messing around two weekends ago working through some barge waves and it was really handy.

My personal experience in a 98 Jag
    was extremely stable. That 98 hull
    is today very similar to or the same as the PUMA & Cougar. My buddy was pushing 300 plus, I was a stout 210 at the time and we both fished off the front right or left deck which scarcely moved. Most boats would lean over due to the off set weight but that old Jag did not seem to notice our weight at all.

Trolling motor down is an important consideration because I put very little hours on the gas motor but can slap ware out a Trolling motor.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

16. Member
    I'm biased, but the Eyra has incredible trolling motor down (or up) maneuverability, plus as mentioned above with the ability to move the pedal back 6" it's got tons of flexibility & adjustability for almost any application.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

Love my Puma FTD
    2019 BassCat Puma FTD, Honda 250, Croxton Razor 4XL,Garmin Force, Power Pole Blades & Charge, Atlas JP, Ionic 36v Lithium, K2 Energy Lithium NoCo GenPro10x1, All Garmin Electronics with PanOptics LiveScope

jefflhoman.com

In a 17 puma now, and had a 16 caracal and 15 sabre ftd. I like the puma alot as I skip alot of docks and I get in and around them a bit more nimble than the caracal. But the caracal did most everything well and it was alot more stable at the bow. The sabre was small enough for me to really get in and around docks. But in rough water, Id get some water over the bow.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

19. Member
    I've had a Cougar FTD, Puma FTD, and now an Eyra. They are all the same to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Addison View Post
    I've had a Cougar FTD, Puma FTD, and now an Eyra. They are all the same to me.
    This would be the correct answer. Even my Jag is not that much different. The forward position and BCB hulls just hold position so well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast