MegasBass Dark Sleeper

I ordered some of the Dark Sleepers in the 3/8 and 1/2 ounce size. Got them yesterday and boy they look small. They lacked the bulk I was expecting. Little disappointed. Either way gonna fish them this weekend. Fishing Kentucky Lake which is tough already. Any advice on how to fish them would be appreciated.

THanks,

They might surprise you. Knowing what I know Kentucky Lake, I'm guessing that dragging them, slowly crawling them, or "stroking" them on ledges like you'd fish a football jig or Biffle bug will be the deal. They'll surprise you how they'll entice a bite at times! Just last weekend I was on a school off of a weed edge here in MN that had shut down after I caught probably 30 out of it. Tossed that Dark Sleeper in there after throwing several other baits at them and picked off two more, including the biggest one that I caught out of the bunch!

Here's a recent thread where there was a lot of discussion about them: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1001446
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    They might surprise you. Knowing what I know Kentucky Lake, I'm guessing that dragging them, slowly crawling them, or "stroking" them on ledges like you'd fish a football jig or Biffle bug will be the deal. They'll surprise you how they'll entice a bite at times! Just last weekend I was on a school off of a weed edge here in MN that had shut down after I caught probably 30 out of it. Tossed that Dark Sleeper in there after throwing several other baits at them and picked off two more, including the biggest one that I caught out of the bunch!

Here's a recent thread where there was a lot of discussion about them: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1001446
    Thanks for the Thread. Appreciate it. The reviews have been unreal. What rod do you throw yours on, Drew?

4. Scraps
    I didn't realize they were so small either. Have since bought a bunch in 3/4 and 1oz. Have not caught on them yet, but like fishing them like a jig, stroking.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by NumberOne View Post
    Thanks for the Thread. Appreciate it. The reviews have been unreal. What rod do you throw yours on, Drew?
    I’ve been throwing them on one of two rods. For dock skipping and more shallow stuff I’ve been throwing it on a 7’1” mh Phenix Feather...keep in mind Phenix rods fish light, so it fishes more medium. For heavier ones and otherwise deeper applications it’s been a what basically amounts to a mh/mod fast 7 footer (I say basically because it’s a Lucky Craft rod that’s rated medium / fast, but their scale is off relative to others...fishes heavier than medium and their speed ratings went all the way to xxfast). It’s the same rod, or at least same action, I throw chatterbaits, swim jigs, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits on. I wouldn’t mind having 7’6” just to be able to bomb it further, but in any case I do really like the more moderate action as it seems like it lets them really eat it well and you don’t even have to set the hook, they just load up on it and have it choked.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Banned
    They work here in Flori-Duh and I've fished them hopping off/near the bottom. I throw mine on a MegaBass™ Devil Spec, my swimjig set-up ... They also work when You have to 'downsize' so they are small in size, but do the work of 2 different baits. They're also more durable then You think.

Would I recommend?: "Yes"

If You have 'issues' send me a PM and I'll provide a quick little tip using these that will save You some on-water time.

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    These little packages catch some big fish.....

I generally swim mine along the bottom letting it bump around on whatever's down there and give it the occasional pop. The rod I like the most for them is a GLX 893C.

As mentioned, fish tend to choke the bait and it's always in the roof of the mouth.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Caught 2 on the first one and the paddle tail was gone.....

Quote Originally Posted by mortonjl View Post
    Unfortunately that will happen to many smaller swimbaits. You get some smaller fish swiping at the tail and occasionally they tear them off. Good new is you are getting bites and its a matter of time before a big fish inhales it.

11. Member
    So that's $3 a fish, with all the money everyone(especially me) has bought and boxed over the years in fishing baits, that's a pretty good average. I'd say mine is somewhere around $100 a fish!! LOL

12. Member
    Ive had just the opposite luck. My 1/2oz has caught a ton of fish and still paddling along. Ive had to use mend-it on the nose area a few times and on the fins that protects the hook but still quite useable and catching fish.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post
    Ive had just the opposite luck. My 1/2oz has caught a ton of fish and still paddling along. Ive had to use mend-it on the nose area a few times and on the fins that protects the hook but still quite useable and catching fish.
    +1 on the durability for me as well. I've had the eyes pop off after a few fish, but you can glue new ones on if it's a big deal to you (I haven't noticed a different in catch rates w/ or w/o the eyes).

My biggest surprise using the bait is that dinks and bigger fish all choke that bait down. Have some pliers handy. It's quickly become one of my favorite baits.

If your dark sleeper gets the tail bit off.
    Cut the tail off a used keitech or similar bait.
    Melt the end of the sleeper with a lighter and put them together. It works great. You can make the bait longer if you want.

20190907_085204.jpg
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

15. Member
    Wouldn't this bait be just like fishing a fat swing impact on a jig head or weighted swim bait hook?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Wouldn't this bait be just like fishing a fat swing impact on a jig head or weighted swim bait hook?
    My opinion is the Sleeper is something you'd fish more like a jig, hopping or dragging it off the bottom, whereas the Keitechs are more of a swimming bait off the bottom.

17. Member
    lmao.. thats genius!
    50th Anniversary
    1998 Skeeter Zx195C
    200 V MAX

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb27 View Post
    +1 on the durability for me as well. I've had the eyes pop off after a few fish, but you can glue new ones on if it's a big deal to you (I haven't noticed a different in catch rates w/ or w/o the eyes).

My biggest surprise using the bait is that dinks and bigger fish all choke that bait down. Have some pliers handy. It's quickly become one of my favorite baits.
    lmao. that's genius!
    50th Anniversary
    1998 Skeeter Zx195C
    200 V MAX

19. Member
    I've actually done just as well on the Live Target Gobies as I have with the Dark Sleeper when I'm fishing the Great Lakes. Cheaper too, a 3 pack is like $10.