GTB

Hurricane Dorian

Well this should pretty much put the hurt on Lake Okeechobee!

2. Member
    I wouldn't be so sure. Yes, in the near term it will be a mess. But in the long run it may be the best thing to ever happen to the lake. I base that on my experience on my home water, Lake Seminole. Last year, Hurricane Michael raked across it as a Cat 2. That's a Cat 2 hitting a lake that has NEVER experienced anything over a tropical storm. It clear cut the Hydrilla throughout the lake and basically sweeped entire sections clear of muck down to hard bottom. Just a few months later though and the fishing was as good as its ever been. This June, just 8 months after the hurricane hit, was without question the best month I've ever seen on the lake with 25lbs being needed to win in just about every tournament. That's pretty unusual for the heat of summer. I went out just a few days ago and the Hydrilla is back and the fish are still biting great.

So while it is going to be bad for the lake immediately after, I wouldn't lose hope that in the long run this will be a good thing.

3. Member
    Big O has not even recovered from the last one. Hope everyone is safe down there.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
    Big O has not even recovered from the last one. Hope everyone is safe down there.
    Its the spraying that is hurt it way worse!!
    Livin the dream
    2013 Legend 211
    250 Pro Xs

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend 2013 View Post
    Its the spraying that is hurt it way worse!!
    I agree, the Hurricane definitely made a mess of the lake and destroyed a large amount of grass but the incessant spraying does not allow it to rebound.

6. Member
    Uh I hate the spraying more than anybody but irma is what destroyed the lake. She cant take another hit

7. Member
    At least Dorian can put some water back in the Lake. I saw today the water level is back up over 13 ft
    David Tervin
    2014 Ranger Z521C / Evinrude 250 ETEC HO
    Lakeland, FL

8. Member
    I live on east side not a lot of wind of rain here.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyGATOR View Post
    At least Dorian can put some water back in the Lake. I saw today the water level is back up over 13 ft
    It's easy to run around and go wherever you want with the high water but the lake needs to stay low!!! There is new growth that we need but if the water is too high it can all die off!!!

And the 13.81 you see today is not from Dorian, it's been rising for the last month at an alarming rate, to be exact it's been 2' in one month!