Adding a tandem axle

I have a 2017 Tracker trailer for my 195txw and it hauls like shit. The boat weighs 2800 ish, and has a single 3500# axle with single leaf springs. It bounces hard, turns super sharp and is just an overall pain, I do however have over 20k miles on the trailer. ( I regularly haul the boat 300 miles 2x a week in the summer) With that much mileage the tires are showing sihns of wear and need replacement, sooo we end up with this project.

I will post lots of pics as I start but heres the parts list so far

Additional axle - Dexter EZ lube 3500# axle with idlers, 89" Hub face and 74" Spring spacing, underslung
    4x 1500# springs (will raise load capacity of trailer to 6k)
    Tandem kit with equalizer, bolts and shackles
    Weld on hanger pockets
    Big Tex Tandem Teardrop Steel fender with back
    2 add a bunk brackets and 2 kiln dried 2x6x12 for new bunks

Not sure what wheels and tires I will go with. Definitely something with some bling...anyone got any suggestions?

Also I will say this is not a small project, I have years of trailer repair and fabrication on anything from small ass utility trailers to 53' 120k lb carrying wood chip trailers. I will be setting alignment and spacing to ensure it tracks better than factory and doesnt scrub tires.

I will also be adding dual function LED tails. Look em up here
    https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Function.../dp/B01E7VK09S

I cant count how many times Ive needed light backing down a ramp so these should stop that.

Many people are telling me just to sell and buy a new trailer, but thats more work and cost than this build will be lol. All in so far (no wheels and tires) I'm at 600 CAD, a new trailer would be over 1200 more than what I can get for mine, oh and this will be to my specs and build quality.

Any pointers? Neat things to add? Im open to suggestions!

2. Member
    Jeeze, I dunno. Sounds like you need additional capacity for sure but so far you haven't blown out your tires. 4 wheels will be more difficult to make tight turns when parking it, and you will need different fenders.
    As far as I can see you know more about trailers than the rest of us. Will you have to pay more taxes if the trailer capacity changes? From what I hear if you live in Pennsylvania you need brakes on all 4 wheels. Do you have brakes now?

3. Member
    I could get away with swapping my springs and be done with it. But I dont want to lol. In Ontario, you dont pay yearly fees for boat trailers so no extra taxes. I will be installing tandem fenders as well.

Brakes are a different story, in theory yes, I need to add brakes with the increase in capacity, as of right now the trailer doesn't have them and the boat is light enough to stop easily without them. I may add electric brakes eventually, but not now

4. Member
    I'm gonna be doing the same thing to a trailer under a 19' Skeeter. I sell trailer parts so I have access to everything I need. have a friend that is the service mgr where I work and he's gonna do all the fab work. can't wait to see pics of your progress.

5. Member
    Is it possible to change the existing spring axle with a torsion axle? Should ride better.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

6. Member
    Torsion axle Would likely work, so would upping spring capacity and installing a 5k axle. Buttt. I want a tandem and Ineed a project lol

7. Member
    You should check out Timbren axle-less trailer system. I don't have it, but was checking it out. Seems like a good design.

8. Member
    I'm in. Been debating on converting mine also.