Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lowrance Ghost??

I was on the phone with my BC dealer today discussing some options for when I order my new boat. I mentioned wanting the new Lowrance Ghost TM and wanted to match it with Lowrance units. He told me during a dealer demo show they had 4 on 4 different boats and they were all broken during the demo. I've done a lot of research on the units and TM's and this is the first really negative feedback I've seen or heard on the new Ghost TM.

Has any one ordered a new boat with the Ghost TM, had a chance to demo the TM at Icast or plan to put it on your boat??

2. Member
    I know there was only one on a boat at the dealer meeting this year. I see it’s features but after watching this I was more towards the Garmin.

Ghost is presently not releasing until mid to late October. The only (1) motor at dealer meeting had to be reprogrammed to default settings one time due to an operator playing with it when it was turned off. The Ghost is still in final revisions of software phases and we do have a prototype at the factory, that software is now ancient.

Very few have seen the latest versions of parts and software.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Ghost is presently not releasing until mid to late October. The only (1) motor at dealer meeting had to be reprogrammed to default settings one time due to an operator playing with it when it was turned off. The Ghost is still in final revisions of software phases and we do have a prototype at the factory, that software is now ancient.

Theres a picture on the fb owners page of a guy hitting a wave with a caracal the entire hull is out of the water its a nice shot! But the first thing everyone noticed was no trolling motor... only to turn around a week later and the guy has a ghost hung on there in a picture of his bow and graph set up... How did he get ahold of one? Guys name is Tanner Priddy
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

5. Member
    I thought I saw one on Edwin Evers boat at the event in MLF event in Lacrosse he didn't seem to have any issues

Quote Originally Posted by greg88 View Post
    I thought I saw one on Edwin Evers boat at the event in MLF event in Lacrosse he didn't seem to have any issues

Yep he had one and Ike's in the commercial but did not have one yet.

Those are test units and there are about 50 motors in various stages of validation.

Should a trolling motor have software? Seriously? That is just another potential problem to keep you from being able to fish.

9. Member
    The demo I saw compared garmin, motor guide and Lawrence. Thing that caught my eye was the ghost was LOUD underwater. The other two could barely be heard.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

That most likely was the steering motor making noise and they are working on that vendor.

Any Ghost anyone would have tested would not be fair as they are not production. The Garmin could have been in the last few weeks, though the Motorguide would not be a production assembly.

That would not be a fair assessment and we doubt the tester was Garmin.

BCB

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    The demo I saw compared garmin, motor guide and Lawrence. Thing that caught my eye was the ghost was LOUD underwater. The other two could barely be heard.
    I saw that comparison. It did seem louder but I don't think it was a controlled test under controlled environments and variables. I could be wrong

12. Member
    I was kinda disappointed in the audio measurement of the review.
    He could have just removed the prop from each model and ran them on high in the stowed position. This way only the sound of the motor would have been tested.
    Mike under water, and position of mike could make an audible difference.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

I’m inclined towards the MG for the true cable steer and the metal pedal. I simply like the feel of a metal pedal, and the instant response of cable steer is more suited for fishing stump filled lakes that I fish regularly. I don’t know how responsive the drive by wire models are, so that may not be a factor. The Lowrance is definitely not a “ghost” with the motor down and underway. At least based on the audio and video presented. And that’s my only concern. Sound transmission when it’s in the water and underway.
    I’ll need to replace my bullet-proof, if not slightly creaky, MG Tour 82 one day. I’m leaning towards the new MG Tour or Tour Pro at this point (big, ugly head and all), but to be honest the estimated prices of all three models is just ridiculously high. Although the MG Tour models appear to come in several hundred dollars cheaper than the others with comparable features. If the MG HD+ Sonar works with my HDS units (doubtful, but maybe) that’ll be my first look.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Member
    Motor noise is only a part of the equation, unfortunately. The US has spent a ton of money on submarine prop design for that very reason.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

15. Member
    Before I make my purchase I want to see an updated review/comparison video with the production models since most of the TM's in all the review videos were "prototypes"!

16. Member
    razor cat makes a good point. My dad had a motor guide on his old bass boat. It failed and he bought a MK with the electric steer head. I could not stand the thing. Very sluggish turning. In fact, so sluggish that I bent the shaft (this was prior to the carbon fiber shafts). Went back to motor guide. Sometimes you need it to turn _right now_. Don't know how fast the new ones turn, but unless they are very fast, with a proportional turn speed depending on how far the pedal moves, I doubt I would be a fan...

Cable steering is really hard to beat. I liked the thin wires from pedal to head rather than stiff cables. On the newer models I like the ability to steer from a remote control. But the turn speed in significant current in the middle of a stump field is important to me.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Don't think you can get any faster than a ultrex without breaking cables
    Thank You Leon Pugh

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post

Everyone seems to be missing a key statement here. "had to be reprogrammed to default settings one time due to an operator was playing with it turned off" That statement is scary. Sorry you cant fish until you have sw reloaded in your tm. I will pass

Guys, no one has final product at this time other than Garmin. We have not loaded our first Garmin on a boat yet. Those open update links will be closed on production trolling motors.

20. Member
    Ike and Skeet posted pics of theirs new in box being received on FB today. Are they telling stories?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast