GT50 vs. GT54 SI Shots.

Got to do a little playing around yesterday. Few shots of an old bridge piling. Made a few passes with each transducer. One pass on each frequency. Think I might just keep the GT50 plugged in to the 102sv. I think they are comparable in resolution @455, but the range of the GT50 is much better. The uhd is Nice, but I feel like the 800khz on the GT50 comes out much more crisp. it also has a larger usable range.

28AUG19_1314_01.jpg
    28AUG19_1309_01.jpg
    28AUG19_1306_00.jpg
    28AUG19_1314_00.jpg
    28AUG19_1309_00.jpg
    28AUG19_1304_01.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SamMule; 08-29-2019 at 11:00 PM.

2. Member
    Thanks for posting those!

I have wanting a second transducer so I can permanently mount one on my kayak and keep my GT52 on an arm for when I use the FF on other craft (other kayaks, jonboat). I got lucky and found a GT50 on the for sale forum here. I bought it and have installed it on my kayak but I have not been out with it yet. I am excited to give it a go. Hoping to get out on Sunday. For the bass fishing I am doing now (5-30' of water) I don't expect a lot of difference over the GT52 (should be a little crisper since the cones are tighter). It should really shine this winter when I am sturgeon fishing. Then I am often looking for sturgeon in 50-140' of water. I am really impressed by the mass of the GT50 vs the GT52.

If the Ultras ever go on sale I will buy one. I don't expect that any time soon but I am a patient man :)

BTW, what is the object in your captures? Also, it looks like I see a lot of rocks on the GT54 that are missing on the GT50 but it looks like the vertical scale is different and it may be that they are off the screen for the GT50. Can you comment on that? Do you think the rocks/gravel can't be discerned by the GT50 or are they just not on the screen?

Thanks!
    Last edited by pdxfisher; 08-29-2019 at 12:52 PM.

3. Member
    The object is a bridge piling. I made sure to keep the scale @150 for all of my shots to keep things as consistent as possible.
    I think the reason you can see the rocks on uhd, but not on other frequencies is due to the tighter beam. The 800 and 455 beams are larger (front-to-back). Also, I think higher frequency allows for better target separation. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members can jump in here and confirm or correct me on that.
    Also just noticed I forgot to put the gt54 455 shot on there. Ill try and get that uploaded tonight. Its pretty washed out, but will give you an idea of how they compare.

4. Member
    Nice shots, thanks for posting. I think the GT50-TM shots look nice but I really like the additional detail shown in the gt54.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Nice shots......do you have any clear vu (down) shots with the 54 like you have with the 50?
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    Added the GT54 shots. IMO, the GT54 UHD down is much clearer than the GT50. Range seems to be close to the same.

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I would say they are very close ,garmins sure do produce some nice pics.

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The 54 is a little crisper.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    The object is a bridge piling. I made sure to keep the scale @150 for all of my shots to keep things as consistent as possible.
    I think the reason you can see the rocks on uhd, but not on other frequencies is due to the tighter beam. The 800 and 455 beams are larger (front-to-back). Also, I think higher frequency allows for better target separation. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members can jump in here and confirm or correct me on that.
    Also just noticed I forgot to put the gt54 455 shot on there. Ill try and get that uploaded tonight. Its pretty washed out, but will give you an idea of how they compare.
    Thanks, that answers my question.

10. Member
    Seems GT54 has better CV on 800kHz, while SV on 455kHz is almost the same for both.

11. Member
    But where are the fish, I don't see any in any of the shots. No bait, nothing. With that water depth and structure you think there would be something hanging around.
    I think the down imaging shots look pretty good on 800.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    But where are the fish, I don't see any in any of the shots. No bait, nothing. With that water depth and structure you think there would be something hanging around.
    I think the down imaging shots look pretty good on 800.
    This is why I keep my Element. It shows actual fish on sidescan better than any other unit ive tried, including HB Mega
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    This is why I keep my Element. It shows actual fish on sidescan better than any other unit ive tried, including HB Mega
    Nice!