Thread: Altria

Altria

I’m still holding this stock since 2011. It is down 40% over the past two years. They are now in negotiations to merge with Phillip Morris. They invested 35B in Julu E-cigarettes. They are still paying a 7.07 dividend. Anyone else own this stock? Are you holding or selling.

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I'm not going to invest in a company that sells a product that poisons it's user. If I had enough money, I would buy long dated puts on every up day. Eventually, their user base starts to shrink. People are starting to realize how dangerous vaping is, and I bet there will be big lawsuits coming.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    Like I stated, I bought this stock for the dividend back in 2011. I’m not happy with the direction they are taking. Actually I bought it at the advice from my advisor. If I had known it was a tobacco company, I probably wouldn’t have bought it then.

I don’t know the first thing about buying puts. I just want to get my original investment back, then try to find a good high dividend stock to replace it with.

4. Member
    I am a hold on it and phillip morris because of dividends but I am down at the moment.

5. Member
    I looked back at my confirmation and I bought it at $24.70 a share. I wish I would have sold it in May of 2017 for $74.00. It has always paid a 6 % plus dividend, but that may change soon. I can still remember the sting of Kinder Morgan Partners. Ouch!

6. Member
    So it was at $43.74 at close on Friday. If you gave $24.70 per share and had that dividend paid to you the whole time, I would probably sell it now. I don't know how much you have in it, but I would think making about $20 a share and having all of that dividend money would be a great point for me to get out. I'm also bearish toward companies like this, although with a dividend like that, I can see why you bought it.

7. Member
    I also have been just re-investing the dividend for all this time too. Maybe I should sell this and add to my position in AT&T? The dividend is just about the same.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    I also have been just re-investing the dividend for all this time too. Maybe I should sell this and add to my position in AT&T? The dividend is just about the same.
    Ah, ok. That's probably what I would do. It looks like it may come up towards the end of the year based on the chart history, but all I looked at was the chart. You know it a lot more than I do. If you think it has a good chance of coming up later in the year like it has previously, then you may sell in like November. I don't know, just a thought, but personally I would be getting out definitely by the end of the year.

9. Member
    I own both but inherited them. I'm not thrilled about owning them but collecting the dividend until I get a better exit point. If rates keep dropping then the stock may pop just on the basis of people needing the income.

10. Member
    What caused the stock to drop from $74 to $45 in two years? Wouldn’t you think that the law suits over Julu won’t effect their business, or the government stepping in with regulations? Why are they attempting to merge with Phillip Morris? I’m thinking that any growth may be over?

11. Member
    Growth might be over but if this market turns the way many expect then growth isn’t going to matter. People are probably going to be diving into defensive names just for income. They will probably need to make some changes with Juule but there is still a large part of the healthcare community that still view it as a better alternative to smoking. I think the issue they need to address is it getting into the hands of minors.