Ft Cobb Incident

If you have not seen the video of what happened at the Ft. Cobb marina, you may not know why I am asking this.......

Does anyone have a link to the laws/regulations for fishing around private docks and marinas? I know of two marinas in NE OK that have armed security that harass fishermen telling them the water around the marina is private and cannot be fished. What is the actual law? I have heard this that and the other, but I want to see the regulation/law in print.

2. Member
    Oklahoma's Wildlife Code states the following:
    Title 29. Game and Fish. Chapter 1. Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Code. Article V. Game. Part 2. Hunting Provisions. § 5-212. Obstruction of shooting, hunting, fishing and trapping prohibited--Landowner's rights--Penalties--Exemptions
    A. A person may not willfully obstruct or impede the participation of any individual in the lawful activity of shooting, hunting, fishing or trapping in this state. Provided, that nothing in this section shall prohibit a landowner or lessee from exercising their lawful rights of prohibiting hunting, fishing or trapping on their land, or any other legal right.
    B. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00).
    C. Any person convicted of violating this section shall be liable to the person to whom they interfered with for all costs and damages resulting therefrom. If said person holds an Oklahoma hunting, fishing or trapping license at the time of conviction, such license shall be revoked.
    D. This section of law shall not prevent a game warden from performing his enforcement duties and any Department of Wildlife Conservation employee from performing his duties in working with the sportsmen of this state.
    https://www.animallaw.info/statute/o...ted-landowners

3. Banned
    So if they are armed then you can shot them. According to several here discussing this on other threads.

4. Member
    I just received an email from the Tulsa Corps of Engineers office. On Corps lakes (Cobb is not a Corps lake according to the email I received), the regulation is no fishing from a boat within 50 feet of a commercial marina. I emailed the Oklahoma Wildlife Department and they cannot seem to provide an answer for what the regulation is on lakes that are not Corps lakes.

5. Member
    I always thought the law was 50 feet from a gas dock all the other docks were fair game

6. Member
    I was always under the impression if it was navigational water, it’s fair game.

7. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    My understanding was all public/navigable water fair game. Gas docks were out (safety reasons understood). There are some lakes that have restrictions. Texoma for one, you can’t fish past the buoys in big mineral during duck season. Broken bow, the marina on the south east side is off limits. Murray, the floatin houses.... I think thunderbird has it posted around the marina there. I figure if they got it posted I just stay away. Not worth the confrontation....like in that video, and I’m unsure if that place is even posted. My choice is to avoid situations like that so I stay away from posted places.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    My understanding was all public/navigable water fair game. Gas docks were out (safety reasons understood). There are some lakes that have restrictions. Texoma for one, you can’t fish past the buoys in big mineral during duck season. Broken bow, the marina on the south east side is off limits. Murray, the floatin houses.... I think thunderbird has it posted around the marina there. I figure if they got it posted I just stay away. Not worth the confrontation....like in that video, and I’m unsure if that place is even posted. My choice is to avoid situations like that so I stay away from posted places.
    Stuff gets posted that's not legal. The old windmill run marina on Grand is posted no fishing, so I hit it up a few times every year. I haven't had anyone tell me to leave yet.

9. Member
    Have they found these 2 hilbillies and kicked their ass yet?!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Stuff gets posted that's not legal. The old windmill run marina on Grand is posted no fishing, so I hit it up a few times every year. I haven't had anyone tell me to leave yet.
    That place is famous for "it's their water." Used to be a lot worse over there but its fine now.

11. Member
    The thing I don’t get is why people act this way when there’s no reason for it yea if they are damaging your dock go give them som shit and call the authorities

12. Member
    According the trooper that did the investigation, it is all up to the DA as to what is going to happen to those two idiots and the marina owner. The new marina owner has put up new signs trying to prohibit fishing, but I have not found out the official stance of the law.

The question always is what authority does the marina owner/leasse have concerning the water in the slips. The gas dock and retail area has supposedly always been off-limits but not the outer slips. I have had a heck of a time finding it spelled out for state regulated/patrolled lakes. The one thing to do is not spend any money at marina's that do this and get everyone you know to do the same thing. At Thunderbird, it seems the new owner at Calypso Cove has the troopers convinced they own the water within the cove. I was run out by a trooper the other weekend. Have not been able to find a definite answer. But definitely will not be spending any money there anytime soon.

13. Member
    The bureau of reclamation has authority at Cobb. I emailed them and asked about the regulation. Got an email back saying different reclamation lakes have different rules. I asked again about CObb. Never got a response.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    Oklahoma's Wildlife Code states the following:
    Title 29. Game and Fish. Chapter 1. Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Code. Article V. Game. Part 2. Hunting Provisions. § 5-212. Obstruction of shooting, hunting, fishing and trapping prohibited--Landowner's rights--Penalties--Exemptions
    A. A person may not willfully obstruct or impede the participation of any individual in the lawful activity of shooting, hunting, fishing or trapping in this state. Provided, that nothing in this section shall prohibit a landowner or lessee from exercising their lawful rights of prohibiting hunting, fishing or trapping on their land, or any other legal right.
    B. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00).
    C. Any person convicted of violating this section shall be liable to the person to whom they interfered with for all costs and damages resulting therefrom. If said person holds an Oklahoma hunting, fishing or trapping license at the time of conviction, such license shall be revoked.
    D. This section of law shall not prevent a game warden from performing his enforcement duties and any Department of Wildlife Conservation employee from performing his duties in working with the sportsmen of this state.
    https://www.animallaw.info/statute/o...ted-landowners
    I read this. I don't know any more now than I did before I read this. All I can guess is, if you fish a marina, you or your partner need to be a lawyer.

15. Member
    Charges have been filed... arrest warrants issued!!

16. Member
    Good