Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last minute family trip to Kerr/Buggs - tips?

We decided to go camping at Kerr. Staying at Rudds Creek. Will be taking the bass boat for sure. I've never been on Kerr, the size is a bit daunting. Could use any pointers if anyone is willing to share. Young kids, 6 and 3 year old boys, just fishing for fun, as always. Looks to be clear and high pressure, not sure how well we'll do, but we're going to try. Thanks!
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

2. Member
    I have only been there a few times, but I you are looking for qty not quality tie on a wacky rig. I don't know what the water temp is but it should be cooling off a little. A swig jig should work well and a crankbait. I would not try to run the whole lake. I personally like the creek before eastland creek. I also like the main lake points close to the dam. A lot of people like Nutbush creek but my very little experience in there proved the water was to clear for my liking. I like the dirty water. I know I am not much help but hopefully you will find a little use in it.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

3. Member
    Roger, definitely helpful. I have nuthin so you give me better than that! Was thinking wacky or similar around docks, bridge pilings, etc. The 6yo really wants to cast, and he's doing pretty good with a spin setup, but I'm still weary about anything with treble hooks on it for him.

4. Member
    Good luck to you. I will be at Gaston all weekend. If you decide to come over there let me know. I am a little better over there.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

Honestly you really don’t even need to leave Rudd’s creek. It’s plenty big, and holds plenty of bass.

For starters I’d look for some deeper lay downs and throw wacky rigs, Carolina rigs, shaky heads. Crankbaits on steeper points in the creek wouldn’t be a bad idea either.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    Thanks gents, appreciate ya very much.

7. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Agree with meadows. Do you have a decent map of the lake? You can, get one like an atlas. Or a folded one. Pm me if you do have a map.

8. Member
    Kevin how was the fishing? I went yesterday late and caught one. Have not been in rudds Creek in over 12 years...coming into rudds near the marina reminded me of aquia Creek at the Potomac. Lol
    Anyways still was a good evening and enjoyed being on Kerr.

9. Member
    We just got home a little while ago, and have been unpacking and trying to get ready for first day of 1st grade tomorrow. The Champ performed admirably, so nice to be on the water after all the work that's been put into it. Mostly on pleasure boat duty this weekend - We only fished a little, kids just wanted to jump in and be in that wonderful water. But my graphs and sonar work great, we certainly saw a lot of interesting stuff, and some fish. I need to get down there on my own with more time and give it another go. The campground at Rudds Creek was great, and that ramp is nice. No complaints there. We could see the Milky Way from there, so I was satisfied that we were far enough away from big city lights. I was surprised at the amount of boat traffic. Having been at SML and Anna, it seemed light. The lake is so big, I suspect some of that was just that people are spread out. We spent a good 45 min to an hour just driving around on the lake yesterday (Sunday) after the kids had been swimming, both fell asleep on the boat - one in the middle seat with his head on my wife's lap and the other on the floor under the passenger console. A testament to the Champ ride I suppose, nothing stirred them in the slightest. The 6 year old, sleeping under the console, didn't wake up until the boat was on the trailer and in the parking lot - we had to wake him up before going across the highway to the campground! So even though fishing was minimal this trip, we had a good time and I definitely want to go back. The lake is just so huge, could take a lifetime to explore. But I know Rudds and the associated branches is worth going back to now!

10. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Occoneechee has a good campground on the main lake. The entrance is just before you cross the lake into Clarksville. No launch fee fall and winter and early spring last time we were there, Good fishing along shoreline from there to Goats Island. If you go to one of the NC ramps, no fee at all...and VA/NC licenses are reciprocal. This is info from a few years ago. Hope still same.

11. Member
    Kevin if you ever stay in the state park at Clarksville they are nice...

12. Member
    Yeah, the state park would be good too. Stuff was kinda booked up this trip - in fact, there were zero - zero - sites with electric available across the entire state. But 2 used but not completely wore out trolling motor batteries worked well running an inverter so we had a little fan to help with the heat. We have a state parks pass though, which covers ramp fees. Discovered that when we went to Anna earlier in the summer.

13. Member
    I'm glad you were able to get out with the family. They are memories the boys will talk of for years. Down by north bend it was busy as expected. Eastland was not bad and rudds was quiet in the back Creek.

14. Member
    I was very comfortable with the amount of boat traffic for the size of the lake. If that's as busy as it gets, it's my kind of place. Also definitely prefer the undeveloped shoreline, makes you feel more like you are on a lake out in the wilderness than one that is house on top of house right at waters edge.

We looked at a small house that is for sale up in Clarksville, on Blue Stone creek. Been thinking about one that could be rented as an investment/income property but get used by us several times a year too. The lake is so big though, I think I'd end up trailering to a down lake ramp rather than run 20 miles on the lake...maybe all pipe dreams anyway.

15. Member
    Glad y'all had a good time. Lately seems like my boat is more of a family boat then a fishing boat. ( kids tubing, wakeboarding, taking rides to just float). But its all good. When the temps drop then it will be time to fish again I hope.
    Semper Fi

16. Member
    Definitely been a hot one this summer. And so dry! Ready for a weather change for sure.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    I was very comfortable with the amount of boat traffic for the size of the lake. If that's as busy as it gets, it's my kind of place. Also definitely prefer the undeveloped shoreline, makes you feel more like you are on a lake out in the wilderness than one that is house on top of house right at waters edge.

We looked at a small house that is for sale up in Clarksville, on Blue Stone creek. Been thinking about one that could be rented as an investment/income property but get used by us several times a year too. The lake is so big though, I think I'd end up trailering to a down lake ramp rather than run 20 miles on the lake...maybe all pipe dreams anyway.
    A LOT more boat traffic up around Clarksville and bluestone during the summer months!!

18. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    One of my biggest bass from Kerr came from Bluestone. Another came from Nutbush at the dam end of the lake. You don't have to run all over the lake. Just look for spots on the map(get one) which show humps, drop- offs, etc. the map has GPS coordinates, so you can then find the spots with your electronics. I would like to have a place on Bluestone. Or most anywhere on Kerr, for that matter.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggs247 View Post
    A LOT more boat traffic up around Clarksville and bluestone during the summer months!!
    FOR SURE. We saw that from the road when we drove up for ice cream. Any there were I think 3 active, as in with lights on, police boats that we could see from the bridge. I was busy in the main lake at the south end of Rudds too, but that was really just one day, and I think it must have been because the stripers were up there since most of the boats were trolling. But the other two days we ventured out to the main lake, it wasn't bad. That would be the downside of having a place up lake but the benefit would be that it would rent, and if we ever had a place down there, it would have to rent part of the year and be an investment.

20. Member
    There isn't hardly any boat traffic on this lake any time of year except the 4th of July, Labor day and lakefest. Right now it's still too hot with water temps still in the 80's but it will be better after next week as the days get shorter. Fishing is good in all winter too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast