Tilt & Trim Issues 2004 200HP OX66

Yamaha veterans I need your expertise please!
    I noticed a small spot of fluid on the floor and realized that it was fluid from the tilt & trim assembly. I started inspecting and playing with the tilt & trim. While it was working just fine and I suspect I better check the fluid level, I noticed some things.

Issue #1...cannot get to the grease fitting behind the Seastar steering assembly, see 1st photo. Guessing I need to get a 90 degree grease fitting? If so, is this fitting a ordinary one or do I have to get it through a Yamaha parts supplier?

Issue #2...when the motor is approaching the 100% trimmed down position I am hearing some popping noises. I am guessing this is due to issue #1, no periodic lubrication causing wear? What am I looking at here for repair action?

Issue #3...when trimming down only, the whole trim unit is moving upwards, see photos where I am pointing at top and bottom areas. Some sort of bushings that needs to be replaced, loose hardware or??

Issue #4...leaking fluid, guessing I may need to replace some seals on the trim assy. I believe it is the one of the two trim rams (sorry for lack of proper part ID). I think I saw a stickied post above on how to do this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Can you get to that zerk if you trim all the way up? Seems I have to either trim full up or down on my HPDI to get to one of them.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Can you get to that zerk if you trim all the way up? Seems I have to either trim full up or down on my HPDI to get to one of them.
    Well my initial reply is no, I briefly tried at full up and it didn't want to connect but I didn't really make a solid go of it either. Wondering if maybe there is a thinner diameter connector for my grease gun hose?
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

4. Member
    #2- popping noise will go away with some grease on the end of the trim rods.

#3-4. If the rams are moving, the cap bores are worn and need replaced. When the rams move, the seals will leak. You can get the whole piston assy kit that has a new piston, new caps and all the seals already installed. Just remove the old one and install the new assy and bleed. That is the easiest way to do the repair and make sure it’s going to fix it.

5. Member
    Also, I made a cap tool if you need it

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    #2- popping noise will go away with some grease on the end of the trim rods.

#3-4. If the rams are moving, the cap bores are worn and need replaced. When the rams move, the seals will leak. You can get the whole piston assy kit that has a new piston, new caps and all the seals already installed. Just remove the old one and install the new assy and bleed. That is the easiest way to do the repair and make sure it’s going to fix it.
    Thanks for your help Russ! If you look at the two photos I attached to this thread, the ones where I am pointing, this is where I am seeing movement. Where I am pointing on the bottom of the assembly, that stainless bolt that runs horizontally through where I am pointing is moving as well as the whole tilt trim assembly. I have not looked at the trim rams themselves to see if they are moving and would think that to be a separate issue. Same where I am pointing on top, that part of the outboard is moving upward when trimming down. No movement when trimming up.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
    Also, I made a cap tool if you need it
    Thanks for your offer TwinStick, it is greatly appreciated!! I may have to take you up on it! Guessing it to be some sort of spanner wrench?
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

8. Member
    If you trim up and you see movement it's likely the bushings need replacing. I have to do mine on my 250 hpdi and you'll need the bushings and washers and will require to support the motor as it hangs on the bar you'll need to pull out to access the parts.

2019-08-29_1334.png
    Current: 2006 ~ 20i ~ 250 HPDI ~ T1-25p
    Previous: 2005 ~ ZX 225 ~ 250 HPDI Phase III - TXP 26p

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterJohn View Post
    If you trim up and you see movement it's likely the bushings need replacing. I have to do mine on my 250 hpdi and you'll need the bushings and washers and will require to support the motor as it hangs on the bar you'll need to pull out to access the parts.

2019-08-29_1334.png
    Thanks SkeeterJohn! This is what I was thinking, some sort of bushing. Guessing there are bushings for the lower horizontal bar that will need replacing as well.

Any thoughts as too just how soon I need to get this done?
    Where is everyone buying their parts at?
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

10. Member
    The lower bar would be on the trim unit itself. I don't think they're as critical to replace but if you're going to the trouble it wouldn't hurt. I get my parts from boats.net but many use SIM Yamaha as well.

I'm going to do mine over the winter as there's not too much movement but they do need to be changed out. It's just a hassle to do as you need to lift the motor as the horizontal bar holds the motor to the jack plate. Definitely requires a hoist of some sort to lift it safely. Parts are cheap 2 bushings @ $20 each and 2 washers @ $3-4 each.

Here's a prior post that I found useful:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=793766

Item #2 201pro Answered your question spot on - just put some grease on the ends of the 2 trim rods and it won't sound so bad

Item #4 will be a leaking seal on the trim unit. I'm battling with the 2 trim caps and tried 2 different tools and an air hammer and they still won't budge. I haven't attempted to apply heat yet so perhaps that's the answer. I've also got to replace the seal on the main trim rod which hopefully won't prove to be as stuck! Again for this i'm chalking up to a winter job where i'll remove the trim unit completely. Trim caps suck!!!

Just make sure you have enough fluid in the trim if it's leaking otherwise it will get stuck and stop working if the leak is bad.

11. Member
    THANKS SO MUCH for the help fellas!! Gotta love BBC!
    I picked up a right angle grease gun coupler from Napa and it was the ticket for greasing the zerks behind the steering cylinder. Not sure if this is the exact one but just like this one, https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/OTC2...se+gun+coupler

What fluid for the tilt / trim unit? Do I need to purchase Yamaha brand or will other types of oil work?
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

12. Member
    I use Yamaha branded fluid but i know some just use ATF Dextron 3 fluid.

13. Member
    Stopped by my local dealer who services Yamaha, tech told me to use any of the branded tilt trim oils.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

14. Member
    Replaced the bushings today. Not too bad a job the most difficult part was getting everything lined up to reinsert the tilt tube. Keeping the washers in place is a real pain even with a dab of grease. Thankfully all done now though but hope I don't have to do it again anytime soon! Take your time and a few hours should be enough time.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterJohn View Post
    Replaced the bushings today. Not too bad a job the most difficult part was getting everything lined up to reinsert the tilt tube. Keeping the washers in place is a real pain even with a dab of grease. Thankfully all done now though but hope I don't have to do it again anytime soon! Take your time and a few hours should be enough time.
    Good to know, thanks SkeeterJohn!
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

16. Member
    Resurrecting this thread for an update...separated the motor from the transom bracket to replace the tilt tube bushings but they were in perfect condition, replaced them anyway because I had the new ones. Then went to replace the bushings on the bar that goes thru the bottom of the trim housing. Pulled the bolts and washers and found out why the motor was moving so much, no bushings down there! Put the new bushings in and now no excessive movement and the popping noise I was hearing when trimming down is now gone!
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

17. Member
    Huh, how do you figure they came out? Or weren't put in in the first place? I may have to look into this as well, got a bit of slop in some of those joints, seems similar, like a bushing issue.

Where did you source the bushings you used?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Huh, how do you figure they came out? Or weren't put in in the first place? I may have to look into this as well, got a bit of slop in some of those joints, seems similar, like a bushing issue.

Where did you source the bushings you used?
    My best guess is someone had it apart for whatever and either broke the bushings or forgot to put them in?? The lower ones are super easy to replace, just tilt the motor fully up and put the "kick stands" down, rest the motor on them and remove bushings!
    I cannot recall where I got those bushings as I bought upper / lower bushings, washers and some other items from mulitiple sources...ebay, amazon and Sims yamaha.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M-D View Post
    My best guess is someone had it apart for whatever and either broke the bushings or forgot to put them in?? The lower ones are super easy to replace, just tilt the motor fully up and put the "kick stands" down, rest the motor on them and remove bushings!
    I cannot recall where I got those bushings as I bought upper / lower bushings, washers and some other items from mulitiple sources...ebay, amazon and Sims yamaha.
    Thanks much!
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp