Painting trailer

I have a 09 Phoenix and my trailer is starting to show some signs of rust. Has anyone ever had there trailer repainted or sprayed with something like gatorhyde? I was thinking of buying a new trailer but the prices are crazy.

2. Member
    Is gatorhyde like a truck bed liner? If so, I'm contemplating it also.

Yes it is

4. Member
    I've been thinking about monstaliner, and wondering what to do with leaf springs and all that stuff. Tear it completely apart or just do what I can reach with brush.

2 part Urethane is very tough and durable. But it has to be sprayed. It works well on trailers. Also on houseboat roofs.
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

It's not exactly relevant to your project, but, it's a good way to waste some time. He does actually paint it starting at about the 50 min mark but the whole vid is good. Guy has some cool toys.

7. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....190&highlight=

I had mine linex. Love how it turned out.

8. Member
    I did a 2 part epoxy primer and 2 part epoxy paint by PPG.
    I have a tubular trailer and looked at using something like line X. I repainted a ranger trailer 2006 that had the road armor. It is great for preventing rock chips. With that said it also can hide rust under the armor. Customer said it appears rust forming at the fender mounting bolts holes. upon further inspection and poking with a pick the armor was loose/peeling more than what the customer thought was rusted. I know paint will chip. it will also give tell tale signs of surface rust forming on the welds and other critical areas. Ended up sand blasting the customer's trailer and starting over. It is a preference thing. I also sand blasted my trailer, cost for parts was about $600.

I talked to a couple linex dealers and none of them wanted to fool with it. I dont know anyone around me that does trailers.

10. Member
    Call C & O marine and talk to Carol. They have a restoration shop.

11. Member
    I had mine painted just recently. Similar to yours, had minimal signs of rust beginning to show. Came out great. Sandblasted, primed and painted

Before
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    After. Tried a couple of different step pads on fenders and wasn't satisfied so I sanded back down and painted just fenders in truck bed stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    stripped mine to bare metal, 2 coats of epoxy primer with a 1.4mm tip then sprayed with raptor out of a 2mm tip. Pics are too large for me to upload.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

I found a guy that builds utility trailers that is willing to paint it. He uses a epoxy paint and has a paint booth and everything so I’m gonna give him a try.

15. Member
    Get a small ball peen hammer. Use it to tap around every surface you can get to. Before you think paint, make sure your trailer isn't going to rust from the inside. Hitting rusty spots with a hammer sounds quite different than a good spot.

16. Member
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66