The end of a legendary lake.....

Lake Monticello closed permanently.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

2. Member
    I have a lot of good memories of Monticello. I haven't been out there since the plant went offline, but I know it was still fishing good. I'm sure somehow, some way it will eventually open back up. Until then, I won't lose any sleep over it.

3. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar
    I didn't know it closed.........I also know a man that sunk a Charger boat there back in the day.
    With the flotation law introduced from the 70's, it should not have sank. The coal train was usually operated un-maned, but wasn't on the Winter's night it went down.
    His story was wild! Water temp WAY warmer than Winter ambient temps.
    Somehow, Charger boats heard of the incident and left a message at his home before he even arrived back from the tournament on Monticello.
    Within weeks, my friend Pressley had a brand new Charger boat in the driveway!

That whole Tri-Lake area is really nice

Saddest thing is I think this is just the beginning for a lot of the Texas powerplant lakes. Have a lot of memories on the warm waters of Monti, Martin, Perky(Brandy Branch) and Welsh.

My dad and I used to night fish on Martin. Kinda crazy being locked in. We would fish until we couldn't stand it and then tie up to a bridge and get some rest.

I would pay a small yearly fee to fish on Monticello, my mom lives in Mt. Pleasant so we are up there a bunch.
    Currently boatless but will always drive a Bass Cat

Had some fantastic night trips on Monti back in the late 90's....When all those lakes had hydrilla and coontail. I bet it opens again at some point.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobs21X View Post
    I didn't know it closed.........I also know a man that sunk a Charger boat there back in the day.
    With the flotation law introduced from the 70's, it should not have sank. The coal train was usually operated un-maned, but wasn't on the Winter's night it went down.
    Somehow, Charger boats heard of the incident and left a message at his home before he even arrived back from the tournament on Monticello.

Blundell had some good fishing but it's about the most treacherous water I've experienced. I've seen more than one boat that had sank near the northwest bank past 127. One day we came up on a group transferring their gear from one boat to another as it was going down. On another trip my dad knocked a fist sized hole and 6' crack in his Champion 201 out there. I swear those trees are petrified.

7. Banned
    And Fairfield is for sale

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubee View Post
    And Fairfield is for sale
    Wow, hadn't heard that. I never fished it, but I guess I better get on the ball. Power plant fishing will soon be a memory I suppose.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TX Strampion View Post
    Wow, hadn't heard that. I never fished it, but I guess I better get on the ball. Power plant fishing will soon be a memory I suppose.
    The plant is closed already. They have the land for sale which includes the lake and state park. If you haven't been. You should go. Awesome lake

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs21X View Post

I have a fried with a boat on the bottom of that lake also!!