Trailer Light Issue

2019 20PHX / 2019 Marine Master Trailer.
    Recent issue with my back right trailer light. The back right brake light and blinker do not work, left side works fine. When my truck lights are on the back right trailer light is on, but still no brake or blinker light. I thought at first this would be a fuse issue. Replaced the trailer fuses under the dash of my 2010 Toyota Tundra, this did not change anything. Change the towing fuses under the hood of my truck, again no change. Hooked up my father-in-laws truck, all lights work just fine.
    Cleaned the hitch ball thinking it may not be a clean connection for ground, no change.
    Hooked up my truck to my work trailer this morning, all trailer lights work.

Any ideas?

2019 Phoenix 20PHX
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S
    2 - 8' Power Poles
    2 - Lowrance HDS 12 Carbons (Precision Sonar Mounts)
    52" Minn Kota Ultrex
    10" Atlas Hydraulic Jack Plate

2. Member
    Check the ground at the light. The paint or coating on the trailer may be preventing it from grounding.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Tundras have a towing converter that can cause problems. That’s where I’d look after measuring at the pin on the trailer plug on the truck to see if the truck is providing power. The towing converter is behind the road side tail light assembly on the truck I worked on.

BTW, the ball plays no part in grounding a properly wired trailer. When testing trailer lights and wiring, don’t let the ball contact the trailer so you know it’s wired right.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Scraps
    Just went through this. I'm convinced it has to do with the jointed tongue. I was having issues with the back left light assembly. Bought a new one, same thing. Then through it all I noticed when I was hooking up the trailer lights got brighter and faint as I put weight on the tongue. I took apart the ground on the tongue, scraped away the gatorhyde and reattached the ground, and so far still works. But I'm convinced you need to have some weight on the tongue to get the ground through the jointed tongue assembly. I also removed the ground at the back light, scraped away the gatorhyde, and reattached. It was pretty corroded and thought the connection to the trailer, through the threads of the ground screw was compromised by all the corrosion on the screw.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    Thanks, I will check that.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Just went through this. I'm convinced it has to do with the jointed tongue. I was having issues with the back left light assembly. Bought a new one, same thing. Then through it all I noticed when I was hooking up the trailer lights got brighter and faint as I put weight on the tongue. I took apart the ground on the tongue, scraped away the gatorhyde and reattached the ground, and so far still works. But I'm convinced you need to have some weight on the tongue to get the ground through the jointed tongue assembly. I also removed the ground at the back light, scraped away the gatorhyde, and reattached. It was pretty corroded and thought the connection to the trailer, through the threads of the ground screw was compromised by all the corrosion on the screw.
    Thanks. I will take a look this evening.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Tundras have a towing converter that can cause problems. That’s where I’d look after measuring at the pin on the trailer plug on the truck to see if the truck is providing power. The towing converter is behind the road side tail light assembly on the truck I worked on.

BTW, the ball plays no part in grounding a properly wired trailer. When testing trailer lights and wiring, don’t let the ball contact the trailer so you know it’s wired right.
    When I hooked up my work trailer this morning all trailer lights worked. If it was the towing converter would t not cause the same issue on another trailer?
    I will check that out though. Thanks

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Long shot, but really lean on the trailer connector when plugging in. I used to have a truck that was really hard to get the trailer connector bottomed out and it caused all kinds of odd light operation.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Scraps
    Oh, the other thing someone else told me about the trailer connector. One of the blades on the trailer side connector was bent out a little, further than all the others, I bent it back to make sure there was contact with the truck plug. This didn't fix anything for me but worth checking.
    2017 Phoenix 819

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Long shot, but really lean on the trailer connector when plugging in. I used to have a truck that was really hard to get the trailer connector bottomed out and it caused all kinds of odd light operation.
    This is a new issue. I have had the boat/trailer since December 2018. You could be right though, the plug does not seem very tight. 2010 truck, plug may be getting worn. Thanks.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Oh, the other thing someone else told me about the trailer connector. One of the blades on the trailer side connector was bent out a little, further than all the others, I bent it back to make sure there was contact with the truck plug. This didn't fix anything for me but worth checking.
    I will look at that. Thanks

12. Member
    Found the issue. Turned out to be the plug on the truck was bad. Replaced the plug and we are all good now.

13. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by JHerrel View Post
    Found the issue. Turned out to be the plug on the truck was bad. Replaced the plug and we are all good now.
    What kinda truck? I went out yesterday and now getting the truck indication for the right side blinker. I may redo the ground back at that light and see what happens. Also wanna trace that ground wire that goes across the jointed tongue. I think it should be grounded to chassis behind the jointed part of the tongue. That way there would always be continuity across the tongue.
    2017 Phoenix 819

14. Member
    2010 Toyota Tundra