2017 250 H.O. Fault Codes............Dead Engine

Hey gang thanks in advance for reading.....

Running a 2017 250. HO. with 332 hours, last serviced 30 hours ago.

Noticed a few trips ago started loosing speed and RPMS, thought it was because of 100 degree plus temps out so didn’t sweat it.

Hit the water Sunday early cool outside, slight breeze. Motor started right up but was making a whining noise. As soon as I turned the wheel the noise stopped. Thought it might of been the power steering bleeding the pump, but it’s never done that before. Random gremlin maybe. Cruised around slower speeds graphing and stopping a few times to fish. Finished the day off graphing around less than 4-5 MPH and when I got ready to go jumped on it to get up on pad and it was good. 30 seconds after that, Fault code 15, 16, 19, 137. Then said stop engine immediately, but the engine beat me to it and died. Looking through the fault codes in my graph I had Fuel Flow rate of 0.3gal/hr at idle up to 0.6gal/hr idling.

After getting towed in and getting it on the trailer I engage the ignition and the lift/fuel pumps starts running making the same whining noise for 20 seconds then shuts off.

Without getting to into it it I feel like if it was a float issue the fuel would be dumping out the purge valve and out the lower unit and I would smell fuel. If it was a kinked fuel line or clogged filter that pump would be running like it is.

Have any of you guys had this issue and what was it? I’m dropping it off at the shop next week no matter what but trying to learn from other here.

This is is my second E-TEC and the first one was a beast, no issues, this one is hiding a pack of gremlins in it. To many trips to the shop.

Any experience is appreciated.

2. Member
    Code 137 is a fuel supply restriction of some sort. I'd check all your fuel hoses from tank to engine for kinks. The noise you heard from fuel pump might be it trying to pull fuel to the VST but pulling air instead.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    15 EMM checksum error (ROM) SAFE engaged motor limited to 1000 RPM

16 Crankshaft (CPS) intermittent loss of sync
    EMM counts losses of synchronization with crankshaft sensor. Check CPS mounting and resistance. Air gap range: 00.036 to 0.110 in. (1 to 2.8 mm), nominal 0.073 in. (1.85 mm). Resistance:J26

19 Start-in-gear Check Engine Attempted engine start while in gear. Engine will not start.

137 Vapor separator low fuel level detected SAFE engaged Vapor separator lower level fuel switch closed. Engine limited to 1200 RPM. Check for fuel level or fuel system restriction

4. Member
    Ok thanks to the guys who responded. Boat shop called and said it’s an easy enough fix. Long story short multiple failures over a period of time created the problem. Fuel pump loss of pressure, broken fuel gauge showed I had 3/4 tank fuel, but in reality it had very little, bad fuel valve solenoid.
    All covered by Evinrude and Ranger.
    While they were there having them replace fuel lines and they found the exhaust system melting so that’s getting replaced with the new design.