Alum Creek Smallmouth this fall

I’m looking to spend a few days of my vacation time on Alum when the temps start to drop. I’ve never fished there so everything will be new to me. I’ll be spending a good bit of time graphing the first part of the day to get a feel for what navionics and lakemaster aren’t showing me and find structure to focus on. Would anyone with experience on this lake be willing to share a bit of advice on depths to target, particular structure smallmouth tend to relate to as temps drop in this reservoir? Presentations? I’ll have ned rigs and 3” keitechs tied on for sure. I’m hoping to hit the lake when temps creep into the 50s. I was planning on Erie for my time away from work, but with weather so unpredictable, I’ll cut an hour off my drive time and fish multiple days at Alum. I appreciate any info.

2. Member
    from dam to first bridge is only area needed for small mouth likely
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    You referring to Cheshire Road?

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol-Blue View Post
    You referring to Cheshire Road?
    Yes. Everything south of Cheshire Road bridge, including the bridge causeway. And don’t overlook tubes as bait.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    there are 2 or 3 creek beds that converge south of the bridge that is always a hot spot, I am told, for smallies
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    I’ve noted those beds looking at navionics. Working in 40 foot of water will be a new experience for me. Lots of steep drops near flats look promising as well. Thanks Mac.
    JC, I’ve always got my venom finesse tubes on standby.
    Are all ramps open. I planned on coming in off Africa Road (?) from 36.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol-Blue View Post
    I’ve noted those beds looking at navionics. Working in 40 foot of water will be a new experience for me. Lots of steep drops near flats look promising as well. Thanks Mac.
    JC, I’ve always got my venom finesse tubes on standby.
    Are all ramps open. I planned on coming in off Africa Road (?) from 36.
    Yes, it will not take you long to find fish. Lake has been fishing great all year long.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwwildcat View Post
    Yes, it will not take you long to find fish. Lake has been fishing great all year long.
    Good to know. I’m ready to make it happen! Bring on the fall weather!

Good info! I was planning a trip there also.

10. Member
    Anyone been targeting smallmouth on Alum?
    im taking my vacation next week and plan to spend a few days there midweek.

11. Member
    A buddy of mine was up there a week ago and it sucked!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B*******413 View Post
    A buddy of mine was up there a week ago and it sucked!
    i went there about a month ago and got skunked. I spent the morning fishing the northern banks by the bridge. A north wind picked up and made finesse fishing difficult. Been watching the Geo site. With water temp dropping was hoping action would at least start to simmer.

13. Member
    I live a couple of blocks from the marina but don’t fish it as often as I should . I have a 16 foot 10 hp boat and the weekend boat traffic in summer gets a little hairy in that boat . I have been there a couple hours in the evenings after work and for me it’s been a little slow . I’ve mostly fished the points on the east side with top waters cranks and a shakey head . Only managed a couple of fish each evening but they have been smallies .