Evenrude powerhead swap:

I have a 1992 Evinrude 200xp model e200stlens and would like to find out what year model powerhead will interchange with it? I was told by one powerhead exchange company that it is a one year only block. I have seen numerous 25” shaft motors for sale at reasonable prices and curious if any of them will bolt on to my midsection or if I should just part mine out and start over. I bought this boat several months ago and have yet to get it running right. It cranks up and idles great and when I finally get it to plane out it will run great but getting it up on plane is a bear. I’ve tried different props, new plugs,tested the coils, tried different height setups, cleaned the carbs, and fresh fuel. The boat I have is a 1992 Stratos 201 pro xl. It’s been well cared for and it shows by the condition it’s in. I forgot to mention the compression is almost identical in all cylinders. The way the motor sounds when trying to come out of the hole is an erratic misfire or “flutter” is the only way I can describe it. I can keep fighting with it and sometimes it go ahead and torque up and go. I’ve had several boats over the years and this is a first for me. Any input on this would be much appreciated. I purchased an evenrude service Manuel for this motor but there is little information about this issue.
    Last edited by Undunn; 11-27-2019 at 07:46 PM.

I know you have a Stratos but your problem is a motor issue. Copy your post and go to the E/J forum (Main forum list under Motor Forums - Evinrude/Johnson) and re-start your thread there. Really sharp guys there. You'll get help here but best to go straight to best source..... I'm wondering if you have a thermostat issue that's not allowing the motor to warm up properly - may be a function not allowing motor to rev over X rpms while cold. I think the problem is seriously not going to warrant changing out the whole powerhead.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-27-2019 at 11:25 PM. Reason: clarify - include missed key strokes...

3. Member
    Thanks for your input. You may have hit the nail on the head cause I forgot about having a thermostat that is stuck open. I pulled them a couple of days before we went on vacation a few weeks ago and put them back in cause I didn’t want to leave it disassembled while we were gone. Totally forgot because I’ve had so much other stuff going on. Sure hopes that takes care of it so I can focus on enjoying it instead of working on it. The boat is a extremely clean but I’ve had a lot of little things to fix on it that had been neglected such as livewell recirculating pumps bad, tilt sending unit bad, steering needed replaced so added hydraulic, and few other minor items fixed. Again,Thanks!

4. Member
    I’d still like to find out if or what year models may interchange with mine for future reference. It’s hard to believe that OMC didn’t make another year model that’s interchangeable with mine. I had the model number wrong in my first post. It’s an E200STLEN

No expert but sounds like an electrical issue. Perhaps bad power pack.....
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited

6. Member
    Thanks for your input. Someone else suggested that it may be the power pack but all I’ve researched online and in the manual said that there would be hard starts or idle problems with if it was the power pack. Not saying you’re wrong by any means and apologize if it sounded that way. That’s why I am posting this issue. I accept and appreciate any suggestions as long as it is subject related!

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    To answer your question on what will interchange 1989-1992 will all bolt on without an issue. Sounds electrical to me. Try this next time out. Push in on the key to add a bit more fuel and see if it picks up or not. If it does you have a fuel delivery issue, if it bogs you have an electrical issue, stator, power pack or timer base.

8. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Undunn View Post
    I have a 1992 Evenrude 200xp model e200stlens
    I'm no mechanic, but I believe that you need to spell Evinrude correctly, and that may solve the issue.

JK...

I hope you fix/find the problem.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

9. Member
    CDN Bass, I take it that you haven’t ever misspelled a word by accident before. I consider myself fairly educated and knowledgeable with spelling but I will admit that I am human and do on occasions misspell a word, especially if doing it after a long day at work. I can also remind you or make you aware that there has only one man that walked the face of this earth that was perfect and he was crucified! Oh, thanks for pointing out the spelling error. I stand corrected.

10. Member
    CDN Bass, I take it that you haven’t ever misspelled a word by accident before. I consider myself fairly educated and knowledgeable with spelling but I will admit that I am human and do on occasions misspell a word, especially if doing it after a long day at work. I can also remind you or make you aware that there has only one man that walked the face of this earth that was perfect and he was crucified! Oh, thanks for pointing out the spelling error. I stand corrected.

11. Member
    ChampioNman, thanks for the suggestion. I tried the primer bulb as you mentioned but it didn’t help. I did find going from a 14 1/2”X 24 raker to a 13 1/2 X 25 shooter that it will come up on a plane without bogging and doing as I described so I may have to run it like that till I can get the compression up on it. I plan on doing a seafoam decarb soon as I can get a chance and if it still doesn’t want to turn a larger diameter prop then I may get the heads cut a little bit. The thing cranks up and idles great. It just acts like it’s dragging a log behind it with the other props I try. Thanks again

12. Member

13. Member
    I have read multiple forums whereas people are running a 24” raker or tempest and even a 25 trophy with no problems with the same setup as mine. I’m beginning to think that 78 to 83# compression ain’t enough with my heavy boat. Seems odd though cause I read where a mechanic completely rebuilt one cause his customer wanted “freshened up” and after the build it still was at 87-92#.

14. Member
    have you tried a decarb? compression sounds a little low?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

15. Member
    Check your prop and see if you have any oil on it. If prop is dirty with oil stains. I had a 1990 150 Johnson gt and my link/sync was off on the throttle plates. At that time the mechanic said that is how he diagnosed it. 2 years later when I tried getting on plane it would sputter and as I throttled down more on plane I would start surging. Shop replaced the power pack and stator. No issues after both were replaced. I cannot remember what my compression was but it was within specs. I would test the power pack and stator. Championman helped me with mine.

16. Member
    Mactiman, you and I are on the same page on this ordeal! I just picked up some seafoam while at the auto parts store the other day to do the decarb. Javelin90, I appreciate your input also. The prop is clean and all the carbs are opening as should. All of the ignition is fairly new chi units and the motor fires up, idles great, and with the 13.5X25 shooter prop it runs fine. It just doesn’t like a 14.5 diameter prop cause I’ve tried a 24 raker, a 24 tempest, and a 23 razor but none would get it out of the hole like the shooter would. Hopefully a decarb will help. Thanks and any other suggestions are appropriated.