Whopper Plopper Question

When I use a Whopper Plopper smaller than the 130, I have issues with it wanting to dig in on the initial retrieve. I have added split rings and this seems to help some, but for whatever reason for me, they are not as responsive as the 130. If there is any kind of chop on the water, it's especially bad. This happens on both braid and mono. Anybody else have this issue?
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

2. Member
    I've had the same issues. I've found the 130 size to be the most "responsive" between landing and starting my retrieve. I have noticed that the body shape on the 130 is different than that on the 110 and 90 (I haven't fished the 75 size). The 110 and 90 have more of a pronounced belly and the 130 is more of a cigar shape. Maybe that has something to do with it?? Wish I could help you with a solution, but at least you know you're not the only one that has this problem.

3. Member
    I think the length on the 130 helps hole it horizontal, while the smaller ones can go tail down, then rock forward on initial retrieve.

4. Member
    Seems we are all in agreement. Sure hope someone has a solution.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

5. Member
    Just an idea, but you could try wrapping some lead wire around the shank of the rear treble hook. That would add a little more weight to the back and possibly keep it nose up on the retrieve a little better.

6. Member
    This is probably not the case for you, but I've learned you can't get anything in the area where the body connects to the tail...line twist and all kinds of issues. I only bring it up because if there's not much there, it'll start slow and then get going.
    If there's a bunch it'll obviously cause a lot more problems.

7. Member
    Keep your rod tip up.....the smaller ploppers need a bow in the line so you need to have the tip high and as the lure comes in... slowly drop your tip. Also, the 110 and 130 are the only sizes that can really handle chop. good luck.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassVoodoo View Post
    Keep your rod tip up.....the smaller ploppers need a bow in the line so you need to have the tip high and as the lure comes in... slowly drop your tip. Also, the 110 and 130 are the only sizes that can really handle chop. good luck.
    This is what works for me as well.

9. Member
    Definitely need to do this. I’ve fished the 90 on KY Lake in slight chop and it worked very well.

Yep, THIS^^^.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Agree with the above. I fish the smaller ones essentially like a buzzbait, rod tip up, and this solves that issue. Added bonus is that, as long as I tell myself to sweep the hookset vs hitting them straight up like I would with a buzzbait, it ends up causing me to delay that hookset since I need to drop the rod to sweep into them. That means they either get the bait better, or I don't rip it away from them if they've swatted at it and want to come back at it or are schooled up and competing for it.

The 90s still seem to want to spin on me unless I reel them painfully slow which sometimes is a bad thing for getting bit. I've solved that by going to 75 versions instead (broader body, doesn't want to spin), or the Berkley Choppo which is pretty quickly overtaking the real deal Plopper in my box anyhow.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

12. Member
    Put mylar on rear book and work it like pop r usually the smaller one

This.

I throw mine on mono, fluoro seems to sink faster. I also put a ball bearing swivel
    with a split ring on each end on the front line tie. No more twisted line.

I run a heavier larger hook on the back to get a little more weight on the back end but also keep my rod tip high and come down as I reel in and it gets closer to me.
    I also swap all the hooks out on mine as I was having a bad time keeping a fish buttoned up.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinadan View Post
    I throw mine on mono, fluoro seems to sink faster. I also put a ball bearing swivel
    with a split ring on each end on the front line tie. No more twisted line.
    same here

No one said anything about throwing them on fluoro above, right? If that was the case, that will definitely cause them to nose down. No fluoro on topwaters...unless them nosing down is something you want. It definitely isn't something to try to get a completely different action and sound out of a popper, that's for sure.....
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I throw a 130 or smaller, Whopper Plopper on 25# Sunline Super Natural mono, and use a Norman Magnum Speed Clip o keep the nose down a little better. Caught several schooling fish on it this past week. Waited until the school had stopped hitting the surface, then threw in the middle. The Magnum clip works great on floating popping frogs too.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

19. Member
    I never seem to have any issues and almost always throw the 110. I keep my rod tip around 10 o clock tho and always use minimum 30 lb braid.
    1997 Champion 202 w/225 ProMax