Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I'm having a hard time finding the P/N for the oil filter to be used for the Merc 225 4 Stroke V-8.

Also if there is a oil change kit using synthetic, a part number for that would be great too.

Thanks for the assist.

10-4 Mercury made it easy!
    Grease pivot point frequently - Every other month min.
    I change my oil and oil filter twice a year.
    Lower unit oil twice a year
    Pull the prop, inspect, lube the spline twice a year
    Water pump replacement yearly
    Fuel water separator yearly
    Fuel Filter, on the motor yearly
    This may seem overkill, but running in saltwater, I am not taking any chances.
    Anti-seize on the lug nuts and wheels, where they press against the hubs.
    Salt Water is HELL on the equipment. Rather see grease dripping, than corrosion!

3. mikesxpress
    Additional saltwater PM includes anti-sieze on spark plug threads and spray engine down with Mercury Corrosion Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Additional saltwater PM includes anti-sieze on spark plug threads and spray engine down with Mercury Corrosion Guard.
    Thanks for the additional info.
    I have always done those things, so I forgot to add it. I guess when it it a routine, like rotating tires on the car with oil changes, I forget to mention it.
    Also I use a Different brand of Corrosion Guard that I have found.
    Like you, I am a Mechanical Engineer and all the places I work have found some good alternatives.

I should also add, while we are there, I use Blue Loc-tite on the prop nut. Prevents corrosion and an additional safe guard. (Okay, I confess, I like the smell too!)
    Spray lube it used throughout the motor on all pivot point monthly. NOT, NEVER, WILL NOT EVER BE USED, WD40! Give that stuff to your enemies and tell them to "Have a nice Day!

6. Member
    If you let the engine sit level overnight there will be little to no oil come out at the filter area.
    So there really is no difference on an oil change between a cold engine and a warm engine? I was always under the assumption that a warm(operating temperature) engine has a better oil drain!

7. mikesxpress
    Of course the oil may drain more completely if you run it on ears 1st and get it warm but I think if it's above 70° your going to get a satisfactory drain.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerRT178 View Post
    I'm having a hard time finding the P/N for the oil filter to be used for the Merc 225 4 Stroke V-8.

Also if there is a oil change kit using synthetic, a part number for that would be great too.

Thanks for the assist.
    See Rhonda's post, pinned at the top of the Forum for Parts Assistance.

Synthetic BLEND is what's recommended (NOT Synthetic). As of yet there is a 100 hr (Annual) and a 300 hr (3 Year) Service Kit. For oil changes only, buy the filter and two gallons of oil (you will NOT use all of it however... start with 5 Quarts on your V8, and check level per Owner's Manual Instructions after running it).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Of course the oil may drain more completely if you run it on ears 1st and get it warm but I think if it's above 70° your going to get a satisfactory drain.
    can a person get enough water flow through these using a set of ears? I wasn’t able to get the flow with an older yamaha F-250.

10. mikesxpress
    Use the ears and duct tape the nose cone pickups and it works fine.

11. Member
    Use the ears and duct tape the nose cone pickups and it works fine.
    Thank you!

I will also add that removing the lower unit, as I just did on my 150 XS, was very easy. Just removing the bolt under the trim tab, gave me a pucker factor as I was afraid I might of had some Salt Water corrosion. But it was Mercury used red Loc-tite on that bolt.
    Good job Mercury!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

13. Banned
    Very easy... Dan

14. Member
    V6 200HP 4-stroke (2B686288)

For what ever reason my Mercury rigging dealer used Mercury 25W-40 oil when the motor was rigged. I see in my manual that 25w-40 is acceptable but 10w-30 is the first choice for the standard, ProXS and Race models. And the 25w-40 is the first choice for the SeaPro models. Should I switch over to 10w-30? Sythetic Blend or Mineral? Or stick with my dealers choice? I do not run the boat below 32 deg temps.

Thanks as usual!

15. mikesxpress
    Use what is specified on the engine decal & in your manual.

16. Member
    Does anyone have any thoughts on Bass Pro Shops premium blend four stroke oil? I'm coming up on my first years service and I see they have it on sale. I'm not trying to be cheap but if somebody said it was the same oil as Mercury then I would use it but if it's not up to par with Mercury oil then I would definitely use Mercury's.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dartcase View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts on Bass Pro Shops premium blend four stroke oil? I'm coming up on my first years service and I see they have it on sale. I'm not trying to be cheap but if somebody said it was the same oil as Mercury then I would use it but if it's not up to par with Mercury oil then I would definitely use Mercury's.
    My thought is that the BassPro is $12.97/gal, the QuickSilver is $26.95/gal. Your Motor new is between $12k and $20K+, depending on the model. I am not one to pi$$ money away, but also not one to be penny wise and pound foolish. I'd spend the extra $15/100 hours and put in what the engineers intended for your motor. I am guessing nobody knows for sure the specs on the Bass Pro...
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    My thought is that the BassPro is $12.97/gal, the QuickSilver is $26.95/gal. Your Motor new is between $12k and $20K+, depending on the model. I am not one to pi$$ money away, but also not one to be penny wise and pound foolish. I'd spend the extra $15/100 hours and put in what the engineers intended for your motor. I am guessing nobody knows for sure the specs on the Bass Pro...
    ^^^ That's a good, sensible approach.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12