Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just watched someone change their oil in the new 4 stroke.

It was stupid easy. Finally a design that everyone can do easily!

<Moderator Edit: Please refer to your Engine OWNER'S Manual, or the Factory Service Manual as appropriate References for Servicing your engine>
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-06-2019 at 07:00 PM.

2. Member
    Yep it is easy. It is easier then changing the oil in a car or truck. No creeper needed.. :)
    2015 Ranger 1880 VS Angler
    2015 MERCURY 150HP
    (Model #:1150F23HD Serial #:2B135781)

Heck had mine done at the service center, LU oil change and regular oil change was reasonable. But I do plan on changing it myself cause it does look easy.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Heck had mine done at the service center, LU oil change and regular oil change was reasonable. But I do plan on changing it myself cause it does look easy.
    John Crews did a video on his FB page that was very easy to follow with some good tips

5. Member
    I did my lower unit and engine oil at 25hrs and it was a breeze.....I like taking the time to check the wire looms, bolts, and just pass an eye over everything while doing the maintenance. Super easy to do. Even guys with no experience in changing fluids can do it, and it will save money from going to the shop....

6. Member
    Does it void the warranty if you do it yourself? I am approaching 20 hours and needing to get it done. I rather do it myself.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkm View Post
    Does it void the warranty if you do it yourself? I am approaching 20 hours and needing to get it done. I rather do it myself.
    No, it won't void the warranty. Just make sure to keep all the receipts for oil/filter etc.

It's always a good idea to keep a record of what you did including the date, hours and what maintenance was performed.

8. mikesxpress
    For those of us that have had the 4.6L V8 for over a year now it's proven it self as an easy to maintain engine. From cleaning the strainer to the oil change is just simple. Much easier than caring for the Optimax and less stuff to fail.

Note:
    Your engine manual/engine decal says 100 hours or 1 year for an oil/filter change. The 20 hour thing is not required.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 08-29-2019 at 06:19 AM.

9. Member
    Is their an oil kit for sale that has oil and filter

10. Member
    Last edited by 5pigs; 08-29-2019 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Double post

11. Member
    Good tips here!

Also I think i read spark plugs are now 300 hrs?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. mikesxpress
    Correct. I pulled mine after break-in and cleaned/gapped them correctly. All 8 were incorrect and needed adjusting.

14. mikesxpress
    Besides watching the video guy yank the toter off and leave the bungee hooked on, it's 5/8" deepwell socket for the oil change. You need two 7/16" hoses. One 5' and one 2 1/2'. BOSI tool makes a end cap style filter tool you use with a 3/8" ratchet. If you let the engine sit level overnight there will be little to no oil come out at the filter area. A 2 gallon kitty litter jug will hold all the oil and no swapping jugs/mess. DO NOT just pour 7 quarts into the 4.6L V8!!!! It will be to much which will cause it to smoke. Add 5 quarts and use the dip stick to check/add the rest up to (but not over) the 5th bead from the end.

15. Member
    You could always do a better video to help folks out. You could be a YouTube sensation lol

16. mikesxpress
    I have always assisted folks with anything I can. Part of being a retired mechanical engineer and sharing things that can save folks some time/money/grief. No need for a video. I can articulate most everything effectively and add a picture as necessary.

17. mikesxpress
    <EDIT- READ ANNOUNCEMENTS>
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-06-2019 at 06:58 PM.

18. Member
    Little confused here. The tag on my 250 Pro xs says oil for the Sea Pro is 25-40w, all other models, 10-30. I'm sure Crew's motor is a Pro XS.

19. mikesxpress
    Disregard the stickerboat guy video. He hasn't a clue what he is doing. Follow your engine decal/manual.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Guys:

Please avoid using "Tube" videos as your Service References. While some are much better than others, the BEST reference is to utilize the Service Manual and/or Engine Owner's Manual for your engine.

Also- please avoid "Bay" references (see Forum Announcements).

5pigs: You're definitely right. A lot of thought went into how to make servicing these engines Simpler, Cleaner, and straightforward.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast