Inner Tire Wear on Rear Tire Only

Hey guys. 2011 Skeeter ZX200 with a tandem axle EZ Loader trailer. My right rear tire wears on the inner WAY too fast. I've bought three sets of rear tires since 2015. The fronts are perfect all the time. I have replaced the torsion axle via EZ Loader. Goodyear Marathon tires each time. Anything else I can possibly do?

2. Member
    My 2010 Skeeter ZX190 tandem axle EZ Loader trailer shows the same type of problems after replacing one of the axles on EZ Loader recommendation with no change. I rotate the tires 4 times a year and replace tires as needed. Can't justify buying new trailer to fix it, EZ Loader is just a badly built trailer.

I rotate mine as well and that right rear just gets eaten up so fast. Irritating!

4. Member
    Take your trailer to a trailer alignment shop. Odds are that axle on that hub is out of spec. It doesn't take much to knock one out of whack. Alignment guy told me to check it every year given the conditions of the roads in our states! I had all 4 out, but 2 were really bad.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

Rotated my tires yesterday and wow I'm glad I did. My right rear's torsion arm was completely loose (big single cross bolt)! That could have been bad. I had replaced this one over a year ago. Tightened that sucker down as much as I could with a big breaker bar. I'll be checking it again after the next trip.

6. Member
    If you have room you could double nut that bolt or get some type of locking nut to eliminate loosening.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Jim View Post
    If you have room you could double nut that bolt or get some type of locking nut to eliminate loosening.
    Not a bad idea. Thanks!

Something that you may not of thought about is how the trailer is turned on each trip. Tandem axel trailers require the tires to skid while turning. Depending on how tight the turn, the more the tire gets scrubbed off. The rear axle is usually the one with more tire wear. If you make more turns in one direction you could have one rear tire wearing faster then the others. My right rear is my fastest wearing tire. Regular rotations keep things even. All the above posts have covered everything else.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Something that you may not of thought about is how the trailer is turned on each trip. Tandem axel trailers require the tires to skid while turning. Depending on how tight the turn, the more the tire gets scrubbed off. The rear axle is usually the one with more tire wear. If you make more turns in one direction you could have one rear tire wearing faster then the others. My right rear is my fastest wearing tire. Regular rotations keep things even. All the above posts have covered everything else.
    Very true. Found this out on my in-laws pontoon boat that makes the same trip from dry storage to ramp. The right wheels went bald way before the lefts simply because the route to the ramp was all right hand turns.

10. Member
    I have found that overloading an axle can cause significant wear on the inside of the tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Jim View Post
    I have found that overloading an axle can cause significant wear on the inside of the tire.
    I have a similar experience. I had a weak spring on the Srarboard side of my single axle trailer, and among other problems, the inside of the tire had severe wear and very quickly led to vibration. I did not understand what was going on until the spring finally broke and I saw that it had been cracked about 3/4 across for a long enough period for it to be rusty in that area. I was fighting other issues that in retrospect were related to the weak spring, but it never occurred to me that this was also affecting the tire wear.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

12. Member
    Mine wears the front tire inside . Cant justify buying new axle . Rotate enough they still last 4 years. Switching to D range seemed to help

13. Member
    Leaf springs are weak. change them
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

Quote Originally Posted by RickCamilleri View Post
    Leaf springs are weak. change them
    Torsion axle trailer = no leaf springs
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

15. Member
    Lol oops
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

16. Member
    If it's a torsion arm, try swapping it out with another. If it still wears, the axle tube is bent