2000 Outlaw Bilge Pump Issue?

I’ve got a 2000 outlaw and I’ve had some intermittent bilge pump issues. So I pulled the center seat and found I’ve only got one bilge pump, a Rule 750 pump which seems to have been replaced previously. The only way this pump would work was by a solo wire in the back compartment that would be connected to the battery, not by the switch. Installed the new pump and the same result. Switch doesn’t control it only the wire in the back does. What could this wire be? Float switch? And if so, where would the float be located? Or what else should I be looking for?

Thanks for any help!
    DTS

That should be the hot wire for the float switch. The float switch was part of the original bilge pump. There should be additional wires to make the bilge pump switch on manually. They may have been removed. At this point, if you can't find the original wires and confirm they work as designed, I would run a new set of wires. Look for a SAE connection with brown and black wires that's unattached and test.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    That should be the hot wire for the float switch. The float switch was part of the original bilge pump. There should be additional wires to make the bilge pump switch on manually. They may have been removed. At this point, if you can't find the original wires and confirm they work as designed, I would run a new set of wires. Look for a SAE connection with brown and black wires that's unattached and test.
    dead on here...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

4. Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. The old bilge pump had black/brown/brown with white stripe wires to it which connects directly to the new one. Sounds like a winter project for me... basically what I should do is run new wires directly from the switch to the new pump? I couldn’t find the old float and don’t really feel like removing the batteries, charger, trays, etc to find it to be honest here lol.

5. Member
    "That" wire is probably going to the float/sensor to which the pump is also connected. Float/sensor is probably damaged and is in "constant on" mode and the reason "that wire" is now disconnected.

IF... you do not run wires from the float/bilge sensor/pump/battery AND the boat goes unattended for a period of time you COULD fill the boat up with water(if on the trailer - which will damage the trailer axles). Or Sink it. OR... ruin batteries, switches and numerous other things that cost money to repair/replace....

If I were you, which I'm not, I would install an electronic bilge sensor eliminating the mechanical float and all of it's associated problems. Then hook up the bilge pump to both the bilge sensor and the switch so either way operates the pump(s) - I'd also install additional 1,000 gph pump.

On the 209's, originally, there were two bilge pumps one was auto and one was manual. Most folks re-wired so both came on either manual or auto.
    Last edited by yupitsme; 09-01-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DTS View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. The old bilge pump had black/brown/brown with white stripe wires to it which connects directly to the new one. Sounds like a winter project for me... basically what I should do is run new wires directly from the switch to the new pump? I couldn’t find the old float and don’t really feel like removing the batteries, charger, trays, etc to find it to be honest here lol.
    You're going to have to pull those items to run new wiring properly anyway...might as well search for the missing wires and hoses from the original design. There should be 2 pumps, 2 drain hoses, and 3 sets of wiring somewhere in there. That's how they came from the factory.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."