Thread: Just stopped...

Banned

Just stopped...

2018 250 Mercury Pro XS... Only has about 30 hours on it...
    Serial # 2B400575

Just a little history... Last time out I thought i heard a faint horn going off when I got above 5500 rpms. So last Friday I had the wife accompany me for a couple of hours to see if she could hear it. Made 4 runs at over 5500 rpms and nothing... Wife thinks it's all in my head...

So I stayed out and fished a couple more hours because we had friends coming for the weekend. Last stop got a text they were there so I stowed everything and started to head back to the ramp and decided to air it out one last time. Everything was great 5900 rpms, 123 temp, 18lbs water pressure, no faint alarm going off in my head... Headed towards the ramp and got about 500 yards out and I cut the throttle and went to goose-it to keep the backwash off and it died. Just like some pulled the kill switch. Checked the kill switch, all good. Tried to re-start it and it seemed to want to start, but it would just kind of turn over once and then shake. Checked the primer ball and it was firm. Tried a couple of more times same result. Naturally looked to see if I had any faults recordered by the Smart Gauge, nothing. Wrestled the boat on the trailer and pulled the cowling and didn't see anything out of whack. So yesterday when everyone finally left, I got the flashlight out and visually checked somethings out, belt tight, no liquids in the bottom pan, no funky smells...

Anyone got a guess???... I'm gonna drop it off at the dealer later when I get back in town... Dan

2. Member
    Sorry to hear Dan, I cannot help but the experts will be along shortly I am sure. This is the new boat right?

3. Banned
    Yup, picked it up about this time last year... Dan

Mine did that when my air compressor went out

5. Member
    Mine did the same thing earlier this year on a 2016. take the cowling off and have some one crank it for just a second while you stand at the rear of the engine and look at the Fuel regulator valve on the left fuel rail, it has a small hole on the housing and if a small mist of fuel comes out while cranking, it's the fuel regulator valve diaphragm if not it maybe the tracker valve on the right fuel rail. which will have to be diagnosed by a mercury mechanic. do not remove the fuel regulator valve without the proper installation tool as it is spring loaded and and nearly impossible to reinstall without the proper tool,
    Ask me how I know!!!
    If this is a Four Stroke this does not apply!!!
    Mine was covered under warranty. with your engine being a 2018 that's the route I would take.

6. Banned
    Dropped it off at Dixie Marine... Hope it doesn't take two weeks to repair... I should've become a outboard mechanic... Dan

7. Banned
    Update...

Mechanic said that the Air regulator diaphragm was bad... Replaced and back on the water... Dan

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Glad they were able to get you taken care of!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Good to hear Dan.