New boat steering-- stiffer.

My new Basport takes more muscle to turn than my old ones ever did.
    Even when docking or loading it can take both hands. I don't see how it could be my old motor as I could spin the wheel when docking by hooking a finger in a spoke.
    Are there different ratios in the helm ?
    I know this boat takes less driver input at speed than my others did.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Even when docking or loading it can take both hands. I don't see how it could be my old motor as I could spin the wheel when docking by hooking a finger in a spoke.
    I believe its a different ratio. Mine is stiffer than my past rigs as well.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Jay yours was really stiff when you had the tilting helm. When you went to the non-tilting helm it got way better. Mike which helm do you have?
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Non tilting.

I guess that rules that out.

I haven't heard, how do you like the new boat? Given we both have(had) Prosports I would like to hear your opinion. Not to derail this thread.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

6. Member
    Mine isn't hard to steer at all. 2018 model. I'm wondering what is going on with yours too if it is that hard.

7. Moderator
    All of the newer Tournament style cylinders felt stiffer to me also.

Thanks Lee !!

Geoff; I'm headed down to Amistad but will give a full report when I get back.. So far I love everything about this boat .............Except the trailer. I got the channel trailer and two of the 3 rollers are touching the hull..

Lol. Imagine that. Rollers touching the hill. Good luck.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

10. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Just rebuilt my trailer bunks inner and outer. All of the hull is now sitting on the outer vertical bunks as per Todd at Allison.

Used 2x8's instead of the factory 2x6's. Also used thermally modified lumber. Will not rot, warp, crack etc. Look it up. Neat material. Has to be stained with a specific product made for this wood. then I installed the new gator bac bunk covers over the bunks. So far so good..
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

11. Member
    I’m not an ally pilot but I do have a new Bullet and on my first trip out the steering was way to tight and it took 2 hands to drive it even idling. I knew something was wrong, after getting home I checked all the mounting points of the sea star to see if it was binding anywhere and everything at the motor end was fine. I had to pull my steering wheel off to mount my electronics and as soon as I broke the wheel loose it instantly freed up and could be turned with minimal effort. Evidently when mine was put together at the plant somebody might have been a little heavy on the impact or tried the ole German torque method, gudintite, and my steering wheel was rubbing on the pro trim plate. Rubbed enough it took a little paint off. When I put it back together right it was fine and been perfect since.

Yours being brand new could possibly be the same issue.

Thanks for the tip ---- I will check that out.. Like you I have checked the other end with no luck.
    Mine is not as hard as yours from description.. But is notably stiffer than any other I have driven to date.
    Another thing after checking the numbers to see if it was one that had the failure.. I'm beginning to think this cylinder is different and it just my be the way it is..

13. Member
    Mike, look at the positive side. It will help with the upper body and arm strength. Do you have any plans for EB this next year?
    Thanks for the tip ---- I will check that out.. Like you I have checked the other end with no luck.
    Mine is not as hard as yours from description.. But is notably stiffer than any other I have driven to date.
    Another thing after checking the numbers to see if it was one that had the failure.. I'm beginning to think this cylinder is different and it just my be the way it is..

14. Member
    If you have a 1.7 Cubic inch helm (Tournament Series)you will have somewhere around five turns of the steering wheel lock to lock. If you have 2.0 cubic inch helm you will have less turns lock to lock therefore more steering effort.

2006 Allison Bassport Pro - Hull #7
    2008 250XS

Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    Mike, look at the positive side. It will help with the upper body and arm strength. Do you have any plans for EB this next year?
    Don't have the 2020 schedule out yet.. Would be nice to see the lake.. been a few years.
    We only went as far West as Ute this year. I miss going to Navajo also.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleyecomet View Post
    If you have a 1.7 Cubic inch helm (Tournament Series)you will have somewhere around five turns of the steering wheel lock to lock. If you have 2.0 cubic inch helm you will have less turns lock to lock therefore more steering effort.
    Thanks Kirk --I'll get a count.

17. Moderator
    You might want to check the slack adjuster on the tilt pin that takes the slack out of the steering cylinder. I've never seen it personally, but I have heard of problems with it over tightened causing stiff steering. In other words, taking the slack out and then they tighten it a little more. I don't really know if that will cause a problem, but heard that it would.

Knowing me I may have added (a little more) for good measure.

19. Moderator
    Knowing me I may have added (a little more) for good measure.
    I've been known to go a little beyond what I should have on a few things also.
    It's that, if that's good a little more is better attitude thingy. LOL