Question Flipping/Pitching Rod Advice

Ok guys...looking at getting a pitching/flipping stick. Looking to stay under the $200 mark. Looking at the below rod lines in either a 7'6" or 7'11". I dont have a lot of thick matted grass to punch thru so I dont use much of anything over a 1 oz. weight. Should I get 7'6 or 7'11? I am 6'1" tall if that makes a difference...

Champion Fury or Sierra line
    St. Croix Mojo Line (I have 4 other Mojo rods and love all of them)
    Jacob Wheeler signature line
    Daiwa Tatula
    Favorite Phantom

Or anything else in this class that you have personally good experience with. Would like something that is the most comfortable to flip/pitch with all day long in this price range.

Thanks!
    Wes Smith
    1999 Ranger 519 DVS
    2011 RAM 1500

2. Member
    7'6 diawa for sure! Only time I use a 7'11 is when punching mats

3. Member
    I really like my tatula 7'6 flipping rod.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

4. Banned
    If you like the Mojo rods, grab another. Length is dependent on what's comfortable for you. There is no set length for any given presentation.

Ark Tharp 7'6 heavy.

If you are really going to be doing more "pitching" than actually "flipping", you may consider the Daiwa Tatula Elite 73H Pitchin'/Flippin' model. I really like that 7'2" to 7'4" length when pitching to targets more than the 7'6". If the cover is heavier or I'm actually "flipping" which I don't do that often, then 7'6" or longer is what I prefer. The 7'6" Heavy Tatula Flipping rod is really a good one as well if you want to stay with 7'6". Both are in stock at The Tackle Trap and well under your $200 budget with the BBC member discount...

Only slightly over budget with the member discount, the ALX ZOLO Dragger is another really nice option. Our staff is doing a bunch of field testing on the newest member of our rod line up, ALX rods, and the Dragger has been very impressive as an all around jig/plastics rod that's versatile for other techniques as well.

7. Member
    Abu Garcia Villain 2.0 if you can still find one. Just recently discontinued. Awesome rod, very light and sensitive.

8. Member
    IROD bubs punch rod is awesome

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    Ark Tharp 7'6 heavy.
    X2 I have one awesome rod imo it’s a steal and I have a lot of high end rods
    Shimano and Gloomis kick @ss, 17 Phoenix 919 225 Merc

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    If you are really going to be doing more "pitching" than actually "flipping", you may consider the Daiwa Tatula Elite 73H Pitchin'/Flippin' model. I really like that 7'2" to 7'4" length when pitching to targets more than the 7'6". If the cover is heavier or I'm actually "flipping" which I don't do that often, then 7'6" or longer is what I prefer. The 7'6" Heavy Tatula Flipping rod is really a good one as well if you want to stay with 7'6". Both are in stock at The Tackle Trap and well under your $200 budget with the BBC member discount...

Only slightly over budget with the member discount, the ALX ZOLO Dragger is another really nice option. Our staff is doing a bunch of field testing on the newest member of our rod line up, ALX rods, and the Dragger has been very impressive as an all around jig/plastics rod that's versatile for other techniques as well.
    Have to agree. Love my tatula elites. Very sensitive and light rods.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

11. Banned
    Out of that line up tatula gets my vote. I pitch with 7’ rods and don’t care for anything longer. I don’t flip but 7’3” could be a nice middle ground.

12. Member
    Tatula

Something else to consider... when you say "pitching" do you mean the spool of the reel moves? If so, that's pitching. If the spool doesn't move, that's flipping and that's where the long rod becomes an important tool for a correct presentation.

If you are pitching, I'd take a look at the ALX Rods ZOLO Brawler also. Pretty solid rod for pitching.

If you are around a lot of cover, the longer rod helps move the fish away from cover quicker due to the bigger sweep.

If you are close quarters, you can probably get by with a 7'3". Lots of folks find accuracy easier with a shorter rod. If so, I'd look at an ALX Rods IKOS Hammer 73

14. Scraps
    The Titula's are nice. Powell has a couple, 775, 765 and 795. My fav is the 775. 795 can double as an A-rig rod.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

15. Member
    I have a few different rods that see use for pitching. First is a GLX 894 (although this rod usually has a football jig tied on during the summer) and my next pick is the ALX Zolo Dragger. Slight edge to the GLX in sensitivity, but the Dragger feels more comfortable in my hands.

16. Member
    I would suggest a 7’6 MH flippin rod.
    Cashion elite $179 lifetime warranty , US made.
    Powell Max
    or St Croix Avid in that order is what I would look at.

17. Member
    I just ordered a Dobyn's Fury 765FLIP. Interesting rod in that its designated as being MH, yet its rated for lures 1/4 oz to 2 oz. I figure I have nothing to lose for $120. I punch occassionally with a 1 oz weight, so I'm anxious to see how this handles it.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.