Need help with boat dock winch project, 120 ac vs 12v dc

My lake is lowered 8 ft in the fall and brought back to full pool in April. I installed a pair of wheel jacks on the dock gangway ramp. Got a pair of aluminum utility ramps so I can push the boat dock out in the dirt this fall which will allow me to use the boat lift this winter (needs 5 ft water depth). Come spring I will need to winch the dock back to its original shore position. I have 120 v ac outlet at the shoreline but 120 v winch selection is limited, “1000-1500” lb warn pullzall, Harbor freight, Tractor Supply, etc. Seems the 12 v choices of truck winches have more powerful options - 2000-4000lb. Would have to haul a battery to the shore for once a year use. Don’t think 120 ac- 12v dc converter could handle the amp load. Any thoughts appreciated. 120V ac would be much easier for me. Will set a metal pole at shore for winch mounting.

2. Banned
    I would think the 120 option would be easier, but would depend on the amp draw. Wire gauge permitting, you could up that to a 30 amp service like an rv outlet.

Can you get your 4x4 truck down to the dock, so you can use it for an anchor and 12v DC? I assume it's a 4x4, being you're in AL. I am familiar with the red clay there, and not just from watching "My Cousin Vinnie".
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

4. Banned
    We had a 8000lb ramsey 12v winch for a similiar purpose growing up. If I remember right it had a transformer mounted on the ground next to it.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Check out electric winches for marine railways. Not sure how far you have to winch the dock but a good quality hand winch can do the job too. I dragged a 3000 lb boat up a railway with a fairly steep slope with a hand winch for several years. I now have an electric 3/4 HP winch (it's the one in the picture beside Hand and Electric Winch Options - https://naylorsystems.com/product-category.php?id=13) to do that job.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

No shore access for truck or utv, not familiar with “30 amp service , rv outlet”

20 foot winch length, last 8 feet up the ramps at 45 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Check out electric winches for marine railways. Not sure how far you have to winch the dock but a good quality hand winch can do the job too. I dragged a 3000 lb boat up a railway with a fairly steep slope with a hand winch for several years. I now have an electric 3/4 HP winch (it's the one in the picture beside Hand and Electric Winch Options - https://naylorsystems.com/product-category.php?id=13) to do that job.
    whats the price (US $) of that rail winch?

9. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
    whats the price (US $) of that rail winch?
    Not sure. You'd have to call them. It was about $1000 12 years ago when I bought mine but it also includes a galvanized steel mount that fits over the rails. The winch itself is a Leeson farm motor that drives a gear that turns the spool with steel rope.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

I was hoping to stay under $300 total for a once a year use.

Get a bigger outboard and use the boat to push it up. Sounds like a great way to justify a fun expense to the misses.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

12. 9/11 - Never forget markheb's Avatar
    If you're only going to use it once a year, use a come-a-long.

Quote Originally Posted by markheb View Post
    If you're only going to use it once a year, use a come-a-long.
    that might be the best solution, did some research on Northern Tool. don’t know much about “double / single” cable operation. They only have 7-12 feet of travel, bit of a pain to hook up twice but should work.

14. Member
    You can buy a 20' chain 1.5 ton come a long and it would do the job. I bought mine off ebay and think it was $125 new and that wouldn't break the bank and you are only doing this once a year. I have used it to pull tractors and my zero turn out without any problems.

15. Member
    The hand winches/come-a-longs with a pulley at the hook double the pull force, given the same force exerted on the lever (the armstrong part:). I bought one years ago to rescue two trucks from our spring thaw mud (100' pull, and one was a diesel... one click at a time). Re-rigging time is almost insignificant. A 4-ton will run you $50, add in a few straps or choker chains, and get to pullin'.

16. Member
    The converter definitely won't work. I'm not sure a battery will do it in one pull, you might have to pull it part of the way, charge and then finish. A 120v winch and a snatch block might do it for you. Couple of other options; call wrecker services and see what they charge or if you know someone with a winch $25 and a 6 pack might get it done.

A come-along with a cheater pipe for the handle might be a good test for you. If it comes up okay, the 120v might be your ticket. If you have Popeye arms after getting it up, go big.
    Last edited by okhawg; 08-26-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors