175 fastrike overheat

1993 Model # VJ175GLETG

I'm getting an overheat alarm over 4000 RPMs. I do not get the alarm at lower RPMs. I have 10lbs of pressure at idle, and 25+ above 3000 RPMs. Motor pees stronger than I do! I have recently replaced the water pump and thermostats, but still get the alarm (steady tone). Any advice on where to look next would be appreciated.

One thing I noticed that is new since replacing the water pump, is water coming out of the top of the LU by the shift rod. I dropped the lower to see exactly where it was coming from, and found it shooting out of a little hole on top of the new impeller housing (picture) My old housing doesn't have this hole. Is this normal? And could this have anything to do with the overheat situation? I doubt it, but thought I would ask.

FWIW, I have also recently replaced the VRO and a gasket in the midsection (just below the powerhead) that was leaking water. That water leak is fixed.

Thanks for any help!
    Curt
    thumbnail.jpg

2. Member
    The warning horn your getting is probably the fuel restriction solid horn. The overheat solid horn at 4000 would kick the motor into S.L.O.W. mode and the rpm would be reduced to around 2500. Get a real OMC service manual for your motor, then you can read up on how every thing works. A guy needs to know the warning system. I don't know about your water pump, was it a BRP pump kit?

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Juggie is correct, what part number was the water pump you installed?

Thank you. When I heard the alarm, I looked at the sticker by the shifter and it said "overheat alarm" I wasn't aware there was another option. I will look into a fuel restriction.

I believe the water pump I put in was #5001594.

The horn was, in fact, an overheat alarm. A faulty temp sensor/switch was to blame. We are back in business.
    Thanks

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmesHusker View Post
    The horn was, in fact, an overheat alarm. A faulty temp sensor/switch was to blame. We are back in business.
    Thanks
    Strange that it did not go into S.L.O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Strange that it did not go into S.L.O.W.
    It did. I didn’t know this until I kept on the gas after the alarm started sounding (to see if it was overheat or fuel restriction). Normally I would shut down right away once the alarm sounded.