Ranger cool hubs but not "the same" thread

I have a 2002 ranger trail trailer with the Cool Hubs. Today I lost the cap with the glass window and all the fluid came out. Question for you guys. I didnt drive far on it and it all feels solid and turns like normal. Do I get a cap and refill or will I need to replace anything inside. Here is the main reason for this thread though, what do you guys carry in the truck as far as replacement hubs and tools. I think I need to get and be more prepared.... I did win my club tourny so I have a little money to buy the parts...

2. Member
    Hard to say,it don’t take long for bearings to heat up with no oil. For no more than they cost,I would replace them. For emergencies,you can carry a spare hub and oil or just new bearings,rear seal and oil.I have four caps from my 2000 Rangertrail you can get if they are the same. Mine have an amber glass and drive in,not threaded. They did change later but I don’t know when. I converted mine to grease for the same issue you are having.

3. Member
    I had a rear seal start leaking the last time I did a long trip. Lost a little oil on my ride home but not all. Called Ranger and got new seals and a spare hub assembly. The new hub isn’t the same as the old one. After I changed the seal and cleaned up the bearings before re-installing, I put together an emergency box. In the box I have extra rear seals, two sets of bearings, o-rings, a spare cap, the complete spare hub assembly, my little oil pump can and two quarts of oil. There are also nitrile gloves and all the tools required to change a hub on the side of the road. It’ll stay in the back of the truck as I generally tow two to three times a week during the summer. I am going to grab seals and bearings for my four wheeler trailer as well and throw them in the box as well.

4. Member
    I have an 08 model. If your oil seal is leaking I would replace the wear sleeve when I replaced the seal. Wear sleeves are cheap and easy to replace. You can order everything from ranger parts as cheap as you can buy anywhere else. For a spare hub I bought a pre-greased hub assembly from Academy sports. I took the time to make sure it would fit my trailer. I take it with me on longer trips.

Make sure that your Castle Nut is set correctly. If it is loose it will allow the Cap to be pushed off. Also, I always put a thin bead of Sylicone just under the lip of the cap, then install the cap using a dead blow hammer. When it's all the way on it will make a "Bead" around the cap. DO NOT TOUCH it, let it dry. it will help seal and secure the cap.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

This is a 17 year old trailer and I bought it new. I haven't had many issues with the oil bath hubs like I've read. I went ahead and got everything to replace this one side and an extra for the truck. Sometimes I think I should just buy a new boat. Then i see the prices and nope. I will deal with some issues and keep my old sled going