For those familiar with Elephant Butte

I'm likely moving to El Paso later this year and I am starting to scope out some of the fishing, which is basically only Elephant Butte. For those that are familiar with this lake, is there decent boat storage, places to stay overnight, pubs/cantinas/bars to have a beer or two after fishing, etc.

I'm very familiar with Eastern New Mexico lakes, but know absolutely nothing about Elephant Butte. I've driven by it many times over the years, but never stopped to check it out and I've never fished it.

Any insight is appreciated!
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

2. Banned
    There is lodging. Some right off the lake that will take you 1-2 minutes to get to the boat ramp. Then there are hotels in the city of truth or consequences which is 5-10 minutes away from the lake. Theres a bar in one of the hotels near the lake that I been to a few times, and a couple just as you exit the road to the lake. Prolly gonna be more restaurants that sell beer than dedicated bars though. The main part of the city has more options but I never really venture there since I just go fish. Theres enough stuff around the lake to pass a few hours after fishing.

Boat storage is like you would expect, both indoor, covered, and uncovered options. Dont have any places to point you toward since I tow my boat down there.

Fish and catch as many fish as you can before you move down here. I am 100% serious about that. EB is an irrigation lake and sees HUGE fluctuations. This year they arent draining it down to a puddle, and the vegetation is doing pretty good...so im keeping my fingers crossed that this fall/winter will be epic. But this last year or so, and especially this spring and summer, the lake is fishing extremely tough. Extremely tough....i cant overemphasize that. The last tourney I saw about half the field blanked. 10+ pounds will get you a check and good chance to win. So it really is fishing tough...now with that said, the lake holds 10+ pound fish. A few have been caught this year and I may or may not have caught one (no scale so not claiming it) a few years ago. theyre out there. But the lake is a new lake everyday with the water fluctuations, and that is no exaggeration....and it is going to test you. I have some military buddies who the butte made hate fishing for a while...till they moved to better areas lol.

the city is great tho. I been to roosevelt and its more lively and more to do than there is there, both right at the lake and 5-10 minutes away. Prolly not like havasu since I heard its epic out there...but you will like the city. I love it even though it is so brutal.

3. Banned
    PM me if you have any questions...i dont drop in here as often as other subforums since its not as active

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc575 View Post
    PM me if you have any questions...i dont drop in here as often as other subforums since its not as active
    Thanks for the info! I'll send you a PM once it is for sure I'm moving.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

DMC is correct what little fishing I have done this year has been tough. Lake fluctuates a lot this year up and down. Glad to see more water though. Lots of places to store a boat if you want to leave it there. Plenty of places to stay (rooms) or to camp if you do that.

6. Member
    Apen, the above comments on the fishing is correct. With the water fluctuation this year I believe the fish got confused and unstable. The club I belong to has their monthly tournament on one Thursday a month. Last tournament there were 12 anglers with 2 catching keepers. One caught a 3 lb LM while the other caught 2 SM for 1.6 lbs. I haven't been out since the middle of July due to Knee replacement but next week I will start again. I do live in Elephant Butte, about 1/2 mile from the lake. The comment about the pub/bar/restaurant above is questionable as they have closed the Bar for most of the week but the hotel is still open. There is a Brewery in T or C that has a lot of different craft beer (I haven't been there). PM me if you would like. Dean

7. Member
    Well we had a club tournament yesterday (Thursday) with 12 anglers. 6 caught fish with one limit weighing 9 lbs for first and 3 fish for 5 lbs and second place. 6 anglers weighed fish while the other 6 blanked. A very tough day for most, 16 total fish weighed in and I for one didn't put a fish in the boat. Maybe in October.

Sounds like the lake is still fishing tough Dean. Has the water started coming back up. Glad to hear you are back on the water, hopefully I can get back out by the end of next month. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks out since having my knee surgery. Take care.

9. Member
    Ouch. Well it works out that I will be staying in Arizona and not moving to El Paso. I would still like to fish EB one of these days.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

10. Member
    Chris, how is the knee doing? What did you have done. As far as the lake the dam is still open running around 450/500 CFM. Last I heard they are supposed to shut it down around Oct 11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger69 View Post
    Sounds like the lake is still fishing tough Dean. Has the water started coming back up. Glad to hear you are back on the water, hopefully I can get back out by the end of next month. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks out since having my knee surgery. Take care.

Dean, knee is coming along pretty good they are telling me. They did a total replacement on the left one. Amazing how much it is swelled up and bruised, looks like I got worked over by a couple of guys with brick bats!! Glad to hear they slowed the release down at least, I heard the Rio Grande is totally dry up by San Antonio!