Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Catching a fish on first cast

I guess Evers just proved it’s not bad luck.

I can recall a couple of days when I was thankful for that first and only bite.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Nothing but an old wives tale.....I'll take a fish on the first cast every trip out tournament or not. Its about as silly as no bananas in the boat and fish don't bite as well if cows are laying down.....

I think it’s silly as well but the cow thing has some weather meaning behind it but I wouldn’t pay any attention to it.

Fish on the first cast this morning, followed it up with bout 25 more in the next three hours before breakfast c as called my name.

First time Fishing Quatchia, first three cast, three bass. Sun came up, only 3 fish caught all day

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Nothing but an old wives tale.....I'll take a fish on the first cast every trip out tournament or not. Its about as silly as no bananas in the boat and fish don't bite as well if cows are laying down.....
    I agree with this except the cow part. That’s entirely different than superstitions. That’s weather related. Lol.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    I agree with this except the cow part. That’s entirely different than superstitions. That’s weather related. Lol.
    G-ma used to say that and it was true when bank fishing for cats.

9. Member
    Fishing with a buddy a couple years ago, and he caught a nice bass on the first cast around 7 AM. Looked back at me and said "See, bass fishing is easy!" Didn't see another fish until 4 PM. . .

Just like golf, if I pipe my first drive right down the middle of the fairway, I may as well just pack my stuff up and go home because it's not going to get any better then that.

11. Member
    The cow thing it's true...
    Cheese County Bass Club

Truth! I used to fish with a guy very superstitious about the first cast fish. He would cast a shortie and reel in super fast to make sure he didn't catch one. I proved him wrong twice... I still believe the one about sticks floating straight up and down though.

(606)305-1956

13. Member
    My first cast is always a short quick one, Not superstitious at all but why tempt fate.

14. Member
    No worries about catching a fish on first cast here on Ky Lake.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Umckibben View Post
    The cow thing it's true...

Not all cows lay down at the same time in same pasture. In addition you can drive by a pasture most anytime of day and see some laying down just about every day. Do no way in my mind do I think it's TRUE. I've seen it not be true time and time again. They are domesticated animals that have nothing in common with fish except both are pretty tasty.

Caught a fish on the first cast last Thursday. Proceeded to catch 44 more.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Not all cows lay down at the same time in same pasture. In addition you can drive by a pasture most anytime of day and see some laying down just about every day. Do no way in my mind do I think it's TRUE. I've seen it not be true time and time again. They are domesticated animals that have nothing in common with fish except both are pretty tasty.
    Your last sentence is as about as false as it gets. Do fish bite all day long every day? Why not?

18. Member
    My big bass came on the first cast as the boat was still drifting. I yelled and my buddy with his head down picking up his gear couldn’t figure what was going on. 7 lbs. BB for tourney. We did catch a few more, but none close to that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    Your last sentence is as about as false as it gets. Do fish bite all day long every day? Why not?
    If you say so. Believe what you want. By your own argument though if cows are laying down on your way to the lake how do you know which cows to believe and do the fish not bite all day cause a cow was tired at 0500?

I have seen it far too many times that the fish bite just fine on days cows are sleeping in.

Fish don't bite all day long because there are none in the area, no baitfish in the area, fishing pressure spooked them, weather changes affect them or they are simply not hungry.

20. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I like to catch a fish on my first cast, while eating a banana, with the golden rule and net already on the deck. On the way to the lake I like it when a black cat crosses the road in front of me while I am trying to pick up a broken mirror. As you can see I am not superstitious and I think it's a bunch of hookey. For those that are superstitious please abide by all your craziness because I don't want to spend the rest of the day hearing how you are not catching anything because you stepped on a crack in the concrete at the boat ramp. People can sometimes take themself out of the game mentally before it even starts. If I have poor performance it's because I made bad decisions or the conditions were poor. It has nothing to do with a ladder I walked under.

Now some of the things mentioned here do have some merit but I still do not let them into my head. If small sticks or twigs are floating upright then the barometer is running high. If they are lying flat on top of the water the barometer is low. Current weather does have an effect on fishing so thing associated with the weather will affect fishing. As for the cows standing and eating, I put very little faith in it to be 100% accurate but it does have a small amount of merit.

Midday today, three deer were in the freshly chopped silage field behind my house. Typically they wait for the sun to go down before they come out but there was a very good chance of rain so they came out and fed or maybe they were just hungry. Same thing with the cows, maybe they were just hungry but I do think animals can sense a change in the barometer right before it happens and will they will get more active. Do I put my faith in it, no because its not accurate all the time. When the barometer is stable and they are up actively feeding they were simply just hungry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast