Thread: 5th Wheel ?

Question 5th Wheel ?

Hi
    I have a 2015, 2500HD with the 6’6” box.
    My question is how much length can I subtract
    From the length of the trailer that is actually over the truck.
    Also is the distance the same on all truck beds?
    Thanks
    2014 Triton 21 XS
    250 Mercury Pro XS
    Bravo 1 XS 26 P 4 Blade
    Dual Power Pole 10' Blade
    Humminbird 1198, 998, 360
    HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N, HELIX 12 CHIRP DI GPS G2N

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    On my 5'er the part of the kingpin that locks into the hitch is about 1.5' behind the outermost edge of the curved nose. My F350 has an 8' bed and the trailer covers about 5.5' of the bed - 4 ft to the center of the 5th wheel hitch + 1.5 ft of overhang.

On a 6'6" bed, just measure from the center of the wheel wells where your hitch would be to the end of the bed and add a 12" to 18".
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What are you trying to figure out? Some trailers are like BoatBuggy’s with the pin kind of tucked under, and some the pin is forward.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Thanks, I’m looking at towing a fifth wheel and then my bass boat. Truck is 20’ and boat is 27’.6”. I need to get under 65’ to be legal in most states. So I also looking for info on short 5th wheel campers to hope I can make this work.
    2014 Triton 21 XS
    250 Mercury Pro XS
    Bravo 1 XS 26 P 4 Blade

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAttitude View Post
    Thanks, I’m looking at towing a fifth wheel and then my bass boat. Truck is 20’ and boat is 27’.6”. I need to get under 65’ to be legal in most states. So I also looking for info on short 5th wheel campers to hope I can make this work.
    I don’t thing triple towing is legal in Wisconsin, is it?

Length isn’t really a concern. Never heard of anyone getting ticketed for over length. But with your numbers you only have 17.5’ for the trailer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    It is legal in Wisconsin as long as the 2nd vehicle in the 3 is a fifth wheel and there are restrictions due to weather. Also the limit here is 70’ my problem is the other states I want to go are 65’.

17.5 + how much of the 5th wheel I don’t need to count being it is over truck.
    2014 Triton 21 XS
    250 Mercury Pro XS
    Bravo 1 XS 26 P 4 Blade

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I don’t thing triple towing is legal in Wisconsin, is it?

Length isn’t really a concern. Never heard of anyone getting ticketed for over length. But with your numbers you only have 17.5’ for the trailer.
    Lenght is a concern,I got pulled over in Kansas and given a $150 ticket by a state trooper.Doesn't happen often but you never know.

I went thru the same thought process .... and even found a couple short 5th wheel campers that would work with my boat .... but in the end, decided to get a nice truck camper instead and am very happy with the decision. You can get a dry bath and double or tripple slides ... depends on how much truck you want have. If you look hard, there are nice very lightly used well cared for ones available.

I could envision too many places I had been where tripple towing would be a real problem. The only downside is that the 5er will have more storage. If I ever buy another truck I will do a custom bed on it to increase storage.

There is a lot of flexibility with the truck camper, and I take it off as soon as I hit a campsite if I am pulling the boat. I have even pulled the biggest Uhaul trailer behind it when moving my daughter to Colorado ... and then back a year later.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N