Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kls2020 View Post
    Thanks for the link Leon went to the thread and read all the posts . tomloans got a couple of questions for you after your ordeal 1) any idea how long the priming sequence normally runs (seconds, minutes?) and 2) Did you make a note of the oil level in the engine mounted tank before beginning the prime sequence ?

I don't recall at the moment but I would say seconds. Less than a minute. No I did not check the oil level. Also to be clear, I didnt do what you are about to do. I used this tool https://www.rinda.com/techmatepro/

But I did it twice (just to be sure - not smart) and I experienced a hydrolock. It was not good and it took some time to clear it out of the system. I was fortunate that I didnt bend a rod. It was a severe sound and response from the engine. After this event, i experience poor starting in the mornings. Dont take the chance. Just bite the bullet and get the tool as it can be used over and over again and you will need it in the future for other repairs. I have probably used the Techmate at least a 1/2 dozen times for other issues and needs The mechanic nearby is always 2 months out and I have no choice but to DIY if I want to fish.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kls2020 View Post
    OK just did the calculations for the 1/8 " of oil dispensed from the oil tank during my priming process .
    This equates to .571 fluid ounces or 3.424 teaspoons total . Divided by the 7 oil lines coming off the pump comes to approx 1/2 of a teaspoon per oil line . This doesn't seem it would be enough oil to cause a problem but I will be taking things easy and slowly increase RPMs in steps next time out just in case . Thank you both for the critical info .

Oh shoot, you already did it. Well do not attempt to get on plane. Run the motor in forward at idle speed for at least 10 minutes and then increase the RPMs slowly WITHOUT GETTING ON PLANE. Your first thoughts will be that idle speed "for ahile" will clear the oil out. This is not the case!!!!!!

Once you start giving it heavier throttle is when it will start to clear the excess oil and also when it will cause the ping or hydrolock. You can idle for 30 minutes and it will not clear it! Not sure the mechanics behind what happens inside the chamber but this is what happened to me. You don't need a lot of oil in a piston to have this problem and it is very hard to get it all out. Once you think you are ready to get on plane. Pay close attention as you power up. Kill the engine asap if you hear the slightest ping.

Best wishes.

3. Member
    OK heres the follow up to my oil pump priming experience and risk of introducing too much oil . Backed my boat on the trailer into the water at the ramp this morning with straps on . Trimmed the motor into the lake just enough so the cavitation plate was submerged . (Crankcase oriented running downhill towards intake ) Fired up engine and let it run for 15 minutes and varied RPMs between idle -1200 to warm up . (No smoke or pinging ) Shut off motor and pulled boat up ramp out of water .Trimmed motor down as far as I could without contacting the ramp surface with skeg . (now crankcase running downhill to pistons) . Pulled kill switch , cranked engine over at WOT to see if any oil would blow out of exhaust (none detected but it couldn't hurt anything by trying) . Launched boat and idled out 50 yards to no wake buoys . Gradually increased throttle pausing briefly in steps . At 2000 RPMs boat slowly planed off cruised along slowly increasing speed in 500 rpm steps up to 5000 rpms and no pinging , smoke or vibration. Everything appeared perfectly normal . Made two runs at WOT and motor ran perfectly both times and idled normal on way in to ramp . Maybe running up the engine speed gradually allowed any extra oil to slowly make it's way out of the engine or maybe I really didn't overprime the system as feared . A big thank you goes out to Leon , Tomloans , and Don for the heads up .

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely avoid spinning the engine over without water supplied (or in the water) as it will cause premature wear or failure in the water pump.

Glad to hear things worked out well for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I think this is a lesson in what NOT to do. Best advice is to get an oil pump prime sequence, or in an emergency put the motor back into break-in mode!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I think this is a lesson in what NOT to do. Best advice is to get an oil pump prime sequence, or in an emergency put the motor back into break-in mode!
    OK lets think about this for a second . What exactly is the purpose of the oil pump prime ? Answer A) to fill the new factory lubricated (empty) oil pump with oil so it is ready and able to instantly pump oil , and B) to insure no introduced air pockets exist in the individual oil lines to their respective destinations prior to starting .
    Every step I took was thought through and pre-calculated ahead of time due to the fact that there is just no info available .

I did not douche the engine with lubricating oil using my procedure nor did I experience smoke when originally started . As a precaution I went thru slow RPM build up routine to avoid possible engine damage from a slug of oil based on advice from others and I am thankful for that info .

I will agree that some people should probably NOT attempt what I did. With the knowledge I have gained from this experience I would not hesitate to do it again . Lets hope I don't have to and the replacement pump I got from Mercury lasts a lot longer than the leaky original .

Glad it worked out well for you. I recently bought the Rinda Diacom software to check fault codes, etc. One feature is to be able perform the oil pump prime sequence. I have not had to do it yet but have the peace of mind that I can do it right the first time and will remember what tomloans wrote about doing it more than once! ��
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Glad it worked out well for you. I recently bought the Rinda Diacom software to check fault codes, etc. One feature is to be able perform the oil pump prime sequence. I have not had to do it yet but have the peace of mind that I can do it right the first time and will remember what tomloans wrote about doing it more than once! ��

It is a nice tool to have really. I have the TechMate Pro (94706). It does everything I need it to do including the faults and the parameters of the motor when it took place. Great tool everyone should have. kls2020, did it his way and it was brilliant. His way also helps to get real familiar with the motor. Not a bad idea but may not be for everyone. There is risk involved only because if you miss an idiosyncrasy that only comes with experience such as the over oiling issue I had, it could be catastrophic. But thankfully there is a great group of people here that help everyone out. I sometimes see people on Facebook and I send them here too.

9. Member
    If the EXACT pulse count that Mercury uses during an Oli Pump Prime Sequence is NOT replicated there is a possibility of motor damage for various reasons, which is why I maintain that the method used is what not to do IMHO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12