Been away awhile. What do I need?

I have been away from fishing for about 18 years and a lot has changed as far as electronics. I am not a real tech kind of guy but I know the importance of electronics and i am getting back into bass fishing. I have always liked Lowrance but I am open to other brands but not sure what is what with all the new stuff. I see guys running around with big$ units stacked all over the bow and dash and I am not wanting to go that deep but I know I need something with structure scan, gps... what do you guys recommend as far as getting my Ranger 521vx set up?

2. Banned
    Well, most important question to even be able to start. How much are you willing to spend or what are you hoping to stay under? The more you spend, the more features you get. So tell us a budget and we can recommend different models to you. Do you fish open water or beat the banks?
    Last edited by grout-scout; 08-24-2019 at 11:45 PM.

3. Member
    I usually fish shallow structure but with the improvement of the electronics I feel like I should put some effort into open water fishing. I would like to stay around $2k. I have a older HDS7 that I could take off of a boat I am selling if it’s worthwhile. It’s several years old but i was thinking I could use it on the bow of the boat.

4. Member
    If you are going to spend time in open water, particularly if it is deep, I would recommend going with a 12" unit. It makes a world of difference in terms of target definition and separation.

2k per unit or for the total setup? For just over 2k you can get two Lowrance Elite-9 Ti2 units. To get the most of it you also want to connect the a NMEA 2000 network and add a Point-1 antenna to give you an accurate hearing while fishing off shore.

Your HDS7 is probably still useful but may not effectively network with the newest HDS units. Which generation is it? Touch or not?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. My HDS7 is a touch screen but not sure how old it is. I was hoping to stay around 2k total for front and rear of the boat.

7. Banned
    Are you opposed to buying used? There will be no warranty, but you’ll get more for your money. Unless they go out, then you pissed away money.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintworx View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. My HDS7 is a touch screen but not sure how old it is. I was hoping to stay around 2k total for front and rear of the boat.
    I'm guessing its a Gen 3 then. It would be good to know since there are compatibility concerns with different generations. Given the 2k budget I was going to say I'd probably go with either two HDS 7 Carbons at the console, one for mapping and one for imaging OR a singe HDS9 Carbon at the bow. But I forgot the 7s only have one ethernet port so unless you have either a StructureScan box (which you don't need with your current unit) or want to get a network box, you can't connect them all via Ethernet. You could Ethernet one on the console to the one on the bow and then connect all three via NMEA 2000. You won't have waypoint syncing but they should all get new waypoints as long as the unit that is ONLY one NMEA 2000 is powered on when you set one. I'd want all three on NMEA anyway so they can see the Point 1 that you'll want to get. I'd put an appropriate DI/SI on the transom and a HDI (down imaging only) on the TM. That should get you just under 2k.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Member
    Call Russel Marine Products, a sponsor on this site. They get a lot of trade in units and take offs from new boats. They can save you some change.

10. BBC SPONSOR
    You might want to give our Ti2 units a look you can get two 9” units and transducers for 1999.99. Also we have the two 12” displays for an incredible 2999.99. Brand new tech with 2 year warranty! They are impressive. BassBoatElectronics.com
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    Ultra Marine Service - Mercury Outboard sales and service
    1-800-931-9926
    1230 Topside Rd. Louisville, TN 37777
    Showroom & Office Hours M-F 8a-5p

11. Member
    Thanks guys. How do I determine which generation my HDS is? I am not opposed to buying used.