Thread: PFDs Mandatory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PFDs Mandatory

Title should be Kill Switches Mandatory

After an increase of boating accidents nationwide, Texas has decided to take action. As of September 1, 2019, if you're operating a boat less than 26 feet, you will be required by law to have an engine cutoff switch while the motor is running. If you're using a lanyard, it must be attached to the operator's body, clothing or PFD.

According to documents, this bill is a direct result of the July 20, 2012 death of Kali Gorzell, who fell off the front of a boat and was struck and killed by the propellor.
    You can read the bill in its entirety here.

Last edited by Z-91; 08-24-2019 at 09:55 PM.

He had his motor running and was at the front of his boat ?

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    He had his motor running and was at the front of his boat ?
    Yup. PFD was hooked up to kill switch in drivers seat

4. Banned
    NO PFD are NOT mandatory... Kill switches attached to you are mandatory.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    So in response to a tragic death, they enacted a law that wouldn’t have done anything to prevent her death?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    So in response to a tragic death, they enacted a law that wouldn’t have done anything to prevent her death?
    Yep

Exactly

8. Banned
    That is correct. I have been wearing a velcro wrist strap for a month now. I wear it along with my PFD...

The girl that passed away wasn't driving. The hull design on some of the Texas flats boats can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Any boat CAN be dangerous though. As a rule in my boat everybody wears a PFD on plane and I always have my lanyard hooked up.

As for this law, I get they are trying to do something but I don't see how this will prevent passengers from being thrown and ran over unless the driver thinks fast enough to yank on the lanyard. That would be split second decision making which I would be willing to bet at least 50% of drivers wouldn't be able react fast enough.
    Currently boatless but will always drive a Bass Cat

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    That is correct. I have been wearing a velcro wrist strap for a month now. I wear it along with my PFD...
    I hate to admit it but I giggled

Quote Originally Posted by dcmclassic View Post
    The girl that passed away wasn't driving. The hull design on some of the Texas flats boats can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Any boat CAN be dangerous though. As a rule in my boat everybody wears a PFD on plane and I always have my lanyard hooked up.

As for this law, I get they are trying to do something but I don't see how this will prevent passengers from being thrown and ran over unless the driver thinks fast enough to yank on the lanyard. That would be split second decision making which I would be willing to bet at least 50% of drivers wouldn't be able react fast enough.
    How could they even think this would help that situation ?? Pretty sure I can shift to neutral or shut the motor off quicker than finding the lanyard and yanking of off the kill switch ?

Next everyone on board has to wear one ?

12. Member
    How could they even think this would help that situation ?? Pretty sure I can shift to neutral or shut the motor off quicker than finding the lanyard and yanking of off the kill switch ?

Don’t give them any ideas.

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar

Don’t laugh.
    2) if using a wireless attachment, properly attaching to each individual on the motorboat an operational man-overboard transmitter.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Probably never intended to help the situation. Just like with guns, people say they have to do “something” in response but no one seems to care if the something is effective or not. It’s a emotional reaction from people trying to deal with a tragedy.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

15. Member
    Well I'm not familiar with the details of how this law came about but by reading on here I get the idea. what many on here are saying may be correct but why complain about a legal requirement that IMO is long overdue ? There are many fishermen and even more as a percentage of other boaters who will now be required to do the smart thing. Too bad we have to have a law to get it done.
    GETFISHED !!!

16. Member
    Do we want laws to compel people to do the "smart thing"? Who gets to decide what is smart?

17. Member
    more laws more rules !......................

18. Member
    Totally understandable. So if your freedom chasing brain leaves you drooling and slobbering and unable to feed or care for yourself would it be OK with you to just let you fend for yourself ? Do we need laws to require people to assist those that need assistance because they weren't as "smart" as some other folks ? You aren't serious are you Clark ?
    GETFISHED !!!

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Totally understandable. So if your freedom chasing brain leaves you drooling and slobbering and unable to feed or care for yourself would it be OK with you to just let you fend for yourself ? Do we need laws to require people to assist those that need assistance because they weren't as "smart" as some other folks ? You aren't serious are you Clark ?
    So why not pass a law to have everyone wear a PFD anytime they are with 20 feet of water .. it would most defiantly save lives would it not ? Mustangs don’t always work so have everyone wear the old school orange vests with bow ties

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Do we want laws to compel people to do the "smart thing"? Who gets to decide what is smart?
    We should just ban stupid people, and people without common sense, from operating anything that moves, and from reproducing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast