Basic Networking Questions

Hello All,
    First post under a new screen name, was a member here as far back as 2004 under the screen name oldcatcher and over the years changed from primarily a bass fisherman to a musky fisherman so didn't check in much, tried to rekindle my oldcatcher login recently but no luck even though it is still listed as a member, go figure.

Anyways.........
    Looking at this configuration ;
    2ea EchoMap Ultra 126SV's
    1ea GT54UHD for sonar, clearvu and sidevu mounted on transom
    1ea LVS32 with the Black Box mounted up at the bow area either on trolling motor or one of these "sticks" I see mentioned.
    1ea PS30 mounted on Transom
    1ea GMS10 Port Expander with 5ea Ports

I've researched the heck out of all these devices on the Garmin site but never really came across anything that showed the physical cable ends for example any transducer, the Black Box for the LVS32 LiveScope tranducer kinda implies you plug the tranducer into it and the output is an ethernet RJ45 connection, just one example.
    Didn't see anywhere that showed the end of the PS30 transducer, perhaps being new to Garmin I'm not looking in the right area's.

Here is what I'm thinking after looking at all the install manuals ;
    The GMS10 has 5ea inputs, so, 2ea EchoMap Ultra's take two ports, GT54UHD takes one port, LVS32 w/Black Box takes one port and the PS30 takes one port, five inputs total correct?
    The two EchoMap Ultra 126's can both access all the transducers ?

Still cloudy on sharing map data but I need to figure this out first.

Is Al still around here, back in 2004 he was the original organizer if I remember correctly.
    Thank you.................................

2. Member
    You've done your homework pretty well. You could skip the GMS10, for now, unless you add something else. THe Ultra have 2 network ports each. You would need a Garmin Network cable going from one to the other and you still have one port each available. So one could connect the GLS10 that the LVS32 is plugged into and the other could connect the PS30. The PS30 uses a network RJ45 type connection.

The specifications on the Garmin website are incomplete. There are several additional mid-band chirp transducers that work with it, like GT15. GT50, GT51. They do show up under accessories->transducers but mid-band and 260 kHz are missing in the frequency list.

When they first hit the market the initial software may not have provided for sharing maps. It does now. I'm sure you've seen that the sharing, maps and sonar, does not extend to GPSMAP units so you can't mix them on a network.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    I am in the Buffalo area. Primarily fish walleye and salmon but some friends are really getting me into musky fishing. I have GPSMAP 8412 and 7608 with GMS10, gt54uhd, PS30, PS31, and lvs12 all networked. Let me know if there are any questions or if you want to see the set up.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    You've done your homework pretty well. You could skip the GMS10, for now, unless you add something else. THe Ultra have 2 network ports each. You would need a Garmin Network cable going from one to the other and you still have one port each available. So one could connect the GLS10 that the LVS32 is plugged into and the other could connect the PS30. The PS30 uses a network RJ45 type connection.

The specifications on the Garmin website are incomplete. There are several additional mid-band chirp transducers that work with it, like GT15. GT50, GT51. They do show up under accessories->transducers but mid-band and 260 kHz are missing in the frequency list.

When they first hit the market the initial software may not have provided for sharing maps. It does now. I'm sure you've seen that the sharing, maps and sonar, does not extend to GPSMAP units so you can't mix them on a network.
    Thank you for taking time for such a detailed reply LWINCHESTER2,
    Cleared a bunch of things up for me.
    I'll probably go the GMS10 Port Expander route because I plan on moving one of the echomap ultras between the bow and stern depending on whether I'm jigging with the front trolling motor or trolling crankbaits.
    Jigging or trolling is seasonal change so swapping network cables shouldn't be big deal then (famous last words lol)
    I'll of course require both power and network cables at both bow and stern to accomplish this, plus I'll be adding a GT54UHD .

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsEyesSkis View Post
    I am in the Buffalo area. Primarily fish walleye and salmon but some friends are really getting me into musky fishing. I have GPSMAP 8412 and 7608 with GMS10, gt54uhd, PS30, PS31, and lvs12 all networked. Let me know if there are any questions or if you want to see the set up.
    Appreciate the offer to check your installation out KingsEyesSkis , very nice of you.
    Would like to do that , we can't be more than 25 to 30 minutes from each other.

For the next 6 weeks probably only home on weekends since I fly around nationally for work.
    Typically take off from Nov 1st to Dec 15th to chase musky locally, also the occasional Lake Erie Walleye and Lake Ontario Spring Salmon trip.