Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
  1. Member
    Back to the light I go.

2. Member
    If you think the analyzer is a good working one, I can tell you how to use it. Not the backwards OMC way, where you can get into trouble.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    If you think the analyzer is a good working one, I can tell you how to use it. Not the backwards OMC way, where you can get into trouble.

I saw your product on ebay.

I'll pick one up tonight.

any guidance is appreciated with the present unit.

Plan to work on her after work at 6

4. Member
    pm me your e-mail, I'll send you a pay pal invoice, 10% discount for BBC members. You may not need one, here is how I would use the OMC one. First remove all spark plugs and verify TDC on #1 is correct. Plug the unit into the sensor connector and connect leads to motor positive and ground. You should have the red cylinder light on, if not just rotate the motor by hand until the light come on. If it doesn't the analyzer is no good. As you rotate the motor the red light will turn off at each cylinder for 10 degrees, this is the encoder slots for each cylinder. As you come up on #1, the red light turns off as the encoder slot enters the sensor beam, slowly rotate the motor until the light turns on, it is at this exact point, when the light turns on, that you stop rotating the motor and read what the timing is at the pointer. Adjust the timing tabs if needed and rotate the motor 360 degrees back to #1 and verify that the timing is correct, repeat if needed. Idle timing is set with the timing arm returned against the stop, max timing is set with the throttle full advanced. Don't loosen and move the timing tabs as the manual shows, it's much easier to leave them where they are set and adjust the tab a detent if needed. When the red light turns on #1 I wiggle the crank back and forth until I know that the point of the light turning on is perfect.

5. Member
    pm me your e-mail, I'll send you a pay pal invoice, 10% discount for BBC members. You may not need one, here is how I would use the OMC one. First remove all spark plugs and verify TDC on #1 is correct. Plug the unit into the sensor connector and connect leads to motor positive and ground. You should have the red cylinder light on, if not just rotate the motor by hand until the light come on. If it doesn't the analyzer is no good. As you rotate the motor the red light will turn off at each cylinder for 10 degrees, this is the encoder slots for each cylinder. As you come up on #1, the red light turns off as the encoder slot enters the sensor beam, slowly rotate the motor until the light turns on, it is at this exact point, when the light turns on, that you stop rotating the motor and read what the timing is at the pointer. Adjust the timing tabs if needed and rotate the motor 360 degrees back to #1 and verify that the timing is correct, repeat if needed. Idle timing is set with the timing arm returned against the stop, max timing is set with the throttle full advanced. Don't loosen and move the timing tabs as the manual shows, it's much easier to leave them where they are set and adjust the tab a detent if needed. When the red light turns on #1 I wiggle the crank back and forth until I know that the point of the light turning on is perfect.
    Thanks.

Will pm tonight for code. I have 2 more of these

going on a race boat project. 1967 SeaCraft closed

deck race hull My Racing Machine which was Carl's boat.

Now a CC fishing boat.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Just my humble opinion but I think you may be better served running twin 3.0L OP's/OR's.

Here is the new project.
    IMG_0969.jpg IMG_0970.jpg

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Just my humble opinion but I think you may be better served running twin 3.0L OP's/OR's.

Here is the new project.
    IMG_0969.jpg IMG_0970.jpg
    I`ll need a bigger tanker to tow behind her.

Mark Hauptner of Ocean Master was co-driver on her first race. Trip 110 mercs from Haulover { Ft Lauderdale } to Key West.
    Set a new OB record of 62mph overall. They lost one engine around summer land key. All 3 props were trashed

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    There is no replacement for displacement.

9. Member
    Boy is that the truth, I learned that drag racing.

10. Member
    I got your pm, but I just ran out of timers, somehow my box order got held up, may not have any until Monday. You may want to try that OMC one on your motor.

11. Member
    New 169 gal ss tank. Really nice engines and I`m only into them for 1500 clams after flipping the hull to a friend that night
    for short money.

Twin 250`s would not be a problem. Only 4 of 10 made are known to exist. CG and balance is kind of an unknown with that kind of power and
    weight on a twin full flotation 30 inch setback bracket as well.

62 degree entry. Only 25 ft and a very skinny 7ft 6 in beam and no outer panel. A pure race design.
    The production 23 has a 8ft 6 in beam.
    Last edited by gofastsandman; 09-21-2019 at 06:10 PM.

12. Member
    I got your pm, but I just ran out of timers, somehow my box order got held up, may not have any until Monday. You may want to try that OMC one on your motor.
    Took a step back today and worked around the house. Mostly thought about where I am and questions moving forward.

I know this is BASS boat central and you guys love big power. I`m sure many of you are raising an eyebrow as my boat is not in your wheel house.
    It looks huge compared to say a Ranger 21. The Ranger weighs north of 1900 compared to 1600 on my hull. I had to look up the weight because I know
    little about bass boats

This place reminds me of classicseacraft.com Lots of no BS personal experience with your and our friends.

SeaCraft was started in 1960 by Carl Moesly and he sadly passed away last December at the age of 94 in Key Largo. We of the Florida contingent have known
    him personally for over a decade. The 20 SF was first made in `65 and the industry is still copying his running surface all these years later.
    This article ranked it right behind Roy Merritt in influence at number 2 all time. Not bad company at all in the salt.The writer mistakenly called the model a Master Angler.
    It is the SF or super fisherman.
    https://www.saltwatersportsman.com/t...oats-all-time/

I have been thinking about the roll pin. Have any of you seen this fail or deform to the point that timing is affected?
    Would the analyzer pick up on this? If it only measures the gap, I would think so, but again, I am still wrapping my mind {no snickering in public} around this.

First test in the morning will be the stop tool.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

You guys run some crazy power on tiny hulls.

The latest incarnation of Carl`s design is the Tribute 37, which hit 87 before the pipework with trip Merc 400R`s. The boat had more, but was not dialed in
    with props yet. Owner was anxious and wanted his boat after a two year build.

https://www.tributeboats.com/new-designs
    Last edited by gofastsandman; 09-21-2019 at 06:00 PM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastsandman View Post
    Mark Hauptner of Ocean Master was co-driver on her first race. Trip 110 mercs from Haulover { Ft Lauderdale } to Key West. Set a new OB record of 62mph overall. They lost one engine around summer land key. All 3 props were trashed
    Gofastsandman - I grew up in Tequesta Florida 1971 - 1979 and graduated Jupiter high school 1978. My dad was an Aeronautical Engineer at Pratt & Whitney. We spent every winter duck hunting Lake Okeechobee with Frank G Brown, Brown & Hauptner Marine from Palm Beach Gardens fame. Frank Brown developed the Florida Skiff for hunting the swamps around Indian Prairie Canal. I knew Frank Brown as “The Marsh Master” and I spent many hours in the Brown & Hauptner shop washing carbs and doing grunt work. When I saw the first Ocean Master hull I was astounded at the lines and innovation of the design. I wish I had those days back again. I grew up in paradise and I’m glad I could know and be mentored by Frank Brown and Mark Hauptner.

14. Member
    That's a good size roll pin, and then you have 5 bolts to hold the flywheel in place. The analyzer doesn't measure anything, if the timing wheel slots are damaged the timing could be off. Can I snicker in private?

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    That's a good size roll pin, and then you have 5 bolts to hold the flywheel in place. The analyzer doesn't measure anything, if the timing wheel slots are damaged the timing could be off. Can I snicker in private?
    I guess I missed something.

16. Member
    gofastsandman

I have been thinking about the roll pin. Have any of you seen this fail or deform to the point that timing is affected?
    Would the analyzer pick up on this? If it only measures the gap, I would think so, but again, I am still wrapping my mind {no snickering in public} around this.

From his post 152

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Gofastsandman - I grew up in Tequesta Florida 1971 - 1979 and graduated Jupiter high school 1978. My dad was an Aeronautical Engineer at Pratt & Whitney. We spent every winter duck hunting Lake Okeechobee with Frank G Brown, Brown & Hauptner Marine from Palm Beach Gardens fame. Frank Brown developed the Florida Skiff for hunting the swamps around Indian Prairie Canal. I knew Frank Brown as “The Marsh Master” and I spent many hours in the Brown & Hauptner shop washing carbs and doing grunt work. When I saw the first Ocean Master hull I was astounded at the lines and innovation of the design. I wish I had those days back again. I grew up in paradise and I’m glad I could know and be mentored by Frank Brown and Mark Hauptner.
    Ask your dad about Denny Bushnell. He was a performance engineer at Pratt from `67 till he retired in early 2000`s?

Small world indeed. When Carl finally gave up the old twin Homelite 55 bear cat four strokes and met Mr. K, the other Carl, SeaCraft really took off.

Frank Brown was said to be the best Merc wrench in all S Fl. Carl always had him on his and other SC race driver`s engines. Mark sold Ocean Master
    a couple of years ago and we had heard his health was not good. Mark started racing in his teens and grew up at B&H. I spoke with him over the years
    at boat shows and he had some great stories. The glass work at his shop was always top notch.

Mark shocked the world when he dropped the 31 in `74. He had samples of the hull which were an inch thick on her bottom. He tried to shoot a 9 mm
    through a sample and would sometimes challenge buyers to try. They don`t call them Ocean Smashers for nothing.

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    My head is swimming.

19. Member
    Wish I could ask my Dad Gofastsandman, he’s been gone since 2002. Frank passed a few years ago. I still stay in contact with Frank Jr.

20. Member
    No need to pull the wires off the plugs, take the timing disk cover off. start the motor and let it get up to temp. Attach the timing light to #1 and shine on disk it should flash on the 1 on the disk. Seeing you are on the stbd side of the motor move to #3 repeat, then #5. Then move to port side and repeat #2, #4 and #6 they should all hit their respective numbers if no cross fire. Shut motor down and cut off water.

There is no woodruff key on your motor, a roll pin is installed on the crankshaft to position the flywheel on the crank and then 5 bolts hold it to the crankshaft..
    Have some time now shop is closed. All 6 fired at 7-8 atdc. No cross talk. Doing piston stop next.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast