Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Try a different tach.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 185er View Post
    what jughead is saying here is if prop shaft housing has ever been removed for seal replace are whatever reason, it may have been reinstalled upside down,which would have the large anode mounted on housing facing up instead of down blocking exhaust flow. we all know what restricting exhaust does to any engine,[ loss of power]. hope this helps.
    Thanks. Anode facing down.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Try a different tach.
    Third tach in 11 years. All 4500 max. This tach is 2 years old. All factory tachs.

Idle is/was 650 and 850 on all three at idle in water and on hose.
    Thx for the thought.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

5. Member
    All adjustments made when broken roller was rreplaced

after carb rebuild. I'm stumped.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Find a shop down there and have it Dyno'd. I know Monty racing up in Stuart has a dyno, there maybe someone closer.

7. Member
    Find a shop down there and have it Dyno'd. I know Monty racing up in Stuart has a dyno, there maybe someone closer.

Per the manual, this engine makes peak hp at 5k

8. Member
    Called Gordon Monty
    he sold his dyno
    He is also stumped

9. Member
    I`m sure many here think this hull is under powered. I can assure you this in not the case. I have felt from the beginning this is a fuel problem.
    The Florida contingent of CSC is very close. We all know each other and our boats. We have gatherings 2-3 times a year to enjoy thoughts
    about everything SeaCraft. We know these hulls. I probably know 30 of these boats and their power.

Here are the specs from `67. 85 hp at the flywheel not the prop as is the case these days. 125 at the flywheel. These were light motors @ 300 lbs.

https://moeslyseacraft.weebly.com/20-cc-seacraft.html

At the lake yesterday, I pushed the primer in at 4700 trimmed wayyy up and no bog or increase in rpm. The solenoid has maybe 10 hours on it.
    Brand new BRP part. I do not know this lake chain well and stayed in the basin so I did not have more than 4-5 seconds of wot before I had to back out.

My thinking was I may be chasing windmills. No jump in rpm. No bog.

After work today, I decided to check the timing arm, carb pick up ,and butterfly progression. All good.

Shazbot!

Bang. What do I see here? The new primer solenoid is melting its bottom.

Confession time here. On my first run I pushed the key in and nothing happened for about 3 seconds and then I hit a little wake and turned the key off...
    Same on the second run, but I turned the key back on before maybe 15 mph? I know this is not great news. I was aware of the danger and tried my best to keep the key right. I failed. Twice.

I came here after many years of frustration. I know and respect SeaHorse and his illegitimate son Champion Man. It is not my intent to be dismissive or rude to others here. I just don`t know the rest of the gang here.

The good news is she is making no horrible noises and seems to sound ok for now on the muffs.

Cheers,
    gfs
    Last edited by gofastsandman; 09-05-2019 at 07:16 PM. Reason: I am not an electrical engineer at all.

10. Member
    I had a customer who wanted to run a 24 Raker, but he just couldn't run over 4500 rpm. He thought that it must be his motor, I ran it on my dyno several times, it always put out the same number at 5000 rpm, the exact number most cross flow 150hp motors put out. I didn't have many of those motors that could pull a 24 Raker. The fact of the matter was, he just could not run a 24 Raker. We checked his hull for a hook, it was OK. His boat ran real good with a 22 pitch 3 blade Predator. Do you think that this might be your problem? Not all motors are the same, not all hulls are the same and not all props are the same. If you are running a standard OMC SST prop, there are many props that will out preform that prop, if you don't need a very low pitch. I know that you don't agree with this, but can't you even consider it. Here is my thought, motor runs good, hull is good, motor height is good, that only leaves the prop. You may need a prop that gives you more stern lift, or one that gives you more bow lift. At 4700 you are right at the point where the high speed carb circuit pulls in, at this rpm you don't have 150 hp at the prop. Around 5300 to 5400 is the sweet spot for max
    rpm for these motors. No need for you to reply to this post. I do mean this, good luck.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastsandman View Post
    Per the manual, this engine makes peak hp at 5k
    I know the specs.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    I had a customer who wanted to run a 24 Raker, but he just couldn't run over 4500 rpm. He thought that it must be his motor, I ran it on my dyno several times, it always put out the same number at 5000 rpm, the exact number most cross flow 150hp motors put out. I didn't have many of those motors that could pull a 24 Raker. The fact of the matter was, he just could not run a 24 Raker. We checked his hull for a hook, it was OK. His boat ran real good with a 22 pitch 3 blade Predator. Do you think that this might be your problem? Not all motors are the same, not all hulls are the same and not all props are the same. If you are running a standard OMC SST prop, there are many props that will out preform that prop, if you don't need a very low pitch. I know that you don't agree with this, but can't you even consider it. Here is my thought, motor runs good, hull is good, motor height is good, that only leaves the prop. You may need a prop that gives you more stern lift, or one that gives you more bow lift. At 4700 you are right at the point where the high speed carb circuit pulls in, at this rpm you don't have 150 hp at the prop. Around 5300 to 5400 is the sweet spot for max
    rpm for these motors. No need for you to reply to this post. I do mean this, good luck.
    Thanks jughead.
    Here is a link to 3 nice props I tested years ago.

The hull was designed with a little hook in her. Straight edge confirmed on my hull as well. These hulls love stern lift or they porpoise badly.

I am missing some data points.

http://www.classicseacraft.com/commu...t=Prop+testing
    T

13. Member
    I know the specs.

Doesn`t anyone laugh around here? I know you have forgotten more than I will ever know.

I have a somewhat cryptic sense of humor.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Have you tried any Evinrude props Like the Cyclone or Rebel?

15. Member
    Have you tried any Evinrude props Like the Cyclone or Rebel?
    Haha! See, now that was funny!!!

Over the years,I have been rightfully accused of knowing just enough to be dangerous.

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastsandman View Post
    Haha! See, now that was funny!!!

Over the years,I have been rightfully accused of knowing just enough to be dangerous.
    So I'm guessing the answer is no, you haven't tried any of those props?

17. Member
    So I'm guessing the answer is no, you haven't tried any of those props?
    Denny and my brother up north have the Cyclone and both love that prop.

Thought the rebel was a bow lifter?

18. Member
    I still have the Mirage + which was tenacious and gave great ass lift.

Just can't turn it up...

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

REBELŪ TBX™
    OFFSHORE & CRUISING

• V6 – Standard & Counter Rotation
    • Designed & engineered for efficient midrange cruising hub system
    • Use on offshore boats, large runabout, & pontoon boats

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Maybe Denny will let you try his.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast