Youghiogheny Dam 8-24-2019

Life sometimes gets in the way thus having to attend weddings and other family matters I finally got back on the lake today. I didn't do a write up on my evening Walleye trip because honestly we didn't get anything except catfish.

Today I started early and got the the lake right around 7am. A heavy fog hid the lake as I launched at the dam but I was the third boat in the parking lot. By the way do you know what a pontoon boat looks like in the fog without running lights? Yep FOG. Not a close call because I travel safe with running listed but still it was hard to pick up on the water with no lights.

Ok I will get to the point what a fantastic day of fishing.

The water temp was in the high 70's and the air temp a crisp 49. Heck I'm glad I wore my wool socks, gloves and facemask. The lake was down maybe 10 feet or more. It was so low that most places I fish meant to do so the boat would have to have wheels.

I started in my favorite cove and all's that I did was stick the boat on some mud. I spent the first hour trying to figure the new features and then decided maybe coves wouldn't be as productive today. But you can sure see the little grass flats but they are no longer under water.

So I'm into the day about an hour and a half and did nothing but churn up mud. So I moved to a shoal that I like. It was easy to fish today because I spent the rest of the day there. First very few recreational boats. However a lot of fishing boats. In fact I had so many bass boats passing me looking for bass I lost count.

Now why did I stay on one shoal for 4 hours you might ask? Well first it is large and broad with nice drop offs and a rocky bottom. This is an easy place to find when the water is low just look for the bouy and old house foundations. I honestly wasn't prepared for what happened next. With in 15 mins I have something nice on the line. It's heavy and it wants to fight. On its first jump there was no doubt I had a nice small mouth. It was the first one that ever took me all over the deck on my boat. Front to back then back to front. Then under the boat and a run, that was a first for me. Now I use a light line 6lb to be exact. As I'm getting him close I remember my net is in the locker. Let me tell you it's a lot of fun fighting a fish and getting your net out of the locker at the same time. There way no way I would have got this one on the boat with out a net. For the next 3 hours and forty five minutes I put 6 more in the boat.

I will tell you somebody had to notice I was camped out on this shoal for a reason. But no those bass boats kept passing me by though one or two did come almost up to me. To tell the truth I would have been more than happy to share because it really is a big shoal. But then again except for the first one I was more calm or at least I didn't shout out after getting them in the boat. The first one you might of heard me in Florida.

Ok nice fish story but how did I do it? First I was using a large blue with flakes Senko. I think a 5 hook and some weight. Now this may sound strange but I use a walleye rod about 6 foot. I just love the feel. I very slowly crawl that thing on the bottom. I can feel every pebble, stone and bottom. I crawl it over large stones so it drops. Now when I feel tension I'm not in a hurry to set the hook. In fact you will learn the difference between a bite and getting hung up a little on a rock. Don't worry these big ones will take the Senko and keep it. To give you an example of what I mean, I use those red hooks. When I'm done fishing they have no paint left on them.

Now when I got off the lake at around 1:30 there was another Skeeter pulling out too. A nice 225 with a father and young son maybe 6 or 7 years old. I saw where they were fishing on the way out. They caught some nice big small mouth too as we share some photos. Lets just say he wasnt fishing any coves but they were using shiners. Dad was pretty proud as his son told me that big one was his. When they showed me thier big fish I didn't show them the other ones I caught. His son was so excited it was only fair to let him own the day.

Who knows maybe you have to have a Skeeter to have success.

I guess I forgot a detail. The water on the shoal ranges, at least today 15 to1 foot with large parts far from the shore in the 6ft to 5 ft range. I was in 15 feet of water casting to the foundation that looks like a wall.

https://i.postimg.cc/KcWJ8yXY/20190824-094706.jpg
    Last edited by Fx20 2011; 08-24-2019 at 06:16 PM.

2. Member

3. Member
    Good report. When you have to launch off of the old route 40 bridge, then you will know the lake is low.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

4. Member
    Years ago the dam was really low but you could still piut in at the breast. You had to drive down the ramp into the lake. I cant remember is there was another ramp or what. However it was a hike between the parking lot and where you put in. There were a few other trucks and trailers park in the bottom of the lake. So i also parked there. When I went to load the boat I found a nice citation on the windshield for illegal parking.

The Rt40 launch is nice but it a little further from Confluence. Today the traffice at the breast was very light and the Rt40 launch was busy. Im debating about hitting the water again tomorrow. I should cut the grass. If can talk my wife into going I just might go.

5. Member
    For many years, I kept my 1981 Terry tin bass boat only for launching at the Yough in low water conditions. You had to back down almost 1/2 mile to get to the bridge to launch. Remarkably a little bit of asphalt remained. Backing up was a challenge as it fell of pretty sharply on each side of the road bed.

I loved fishing the dam in November and December. I grew up fishing the Yough and the Mon River. But the topwater smallmouth bite always turned on in early October. Caught many on white with black stripe Chug bugs.

6. Member
    Did you ever fish the Loyalhanna Dam? I do understand you don't want to go to the left from the launch. Your a little closer being from Greensburg. It is about the same drive as the Yough from Northern Somerset Co.

7. Member
    I live about 15 miles from Loyalhanna. If you go left, just stay in the creek channel on the left side of the lake. The lake open ups to your right, but you don't want to go there. I have fished the creek all the way up to the Rte 22/119 bridge. Lots of fallen trees but great jig water. I used to hand a good fish every once in a while there. Got one 5ish mounted in the early 1980's.

Once mid June hit, I would fish the Mon and Loyalhanna Dam all the time. The Mon had smallmouth but most were under 14". But 20-30 fish days were possible. Loyalhanna had a good jig and worm bite, little larger fish but much smaller numbers. Plus in all my years, I never caught a smallmouth in the lake. I have gotten a musky or two and even some trout.

Used to fish Deep Creek too. Just had to fish very early and get off the lake early because of boat traffic.

8. Member
    I grew up on the Allegheny. Also we would fish a lot at Lake Arthur and Keystone power dam near Sagamore.

9. Member
    Nice day!

10. Member
    Nice fish!