Ranger newb needing trailer hub help

2004 (2003 mfg date) Ranger Trail trailer...
    Took the tires off the trailer this morning to have the new Goodyear Endurance tires put on and was looking at the hubs. Looks like I have one hub that has a bearing buddy and the other is a oil bath type, assuming UFP Vault style?

The hub with the bearing buddy appears to be the same as the oil bath, even has the removable screw on the side of the hub to put oil in.

So my questions are;
    Is the hub with bearing buddy an oil bath type and can they just be converted to grease type or is this a pitiful hack job that I need to fix or??

If I wanted to get a grease type hub for the other side, are they available from Ranger and other trailer supply places?

Do spindles have to be changed?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

2. Member
    You can easily switch that hub over to grease. The previous owner may have had a problem with leakage and just went to grease. Called ufp directly and they sent me everything I needed to switch from oil to grease. Very cheap.

3. Member
    Obviously had a problem with one but unless you just want to tackle the job, I would feel them when I got to the ramp and if their ok heat wise leave them alone and just keep a watch on them. If anything, drain the oil bath hub and refill with Lucas hub oil and pump grease into the other one. Just my 02 cents worth.

4. Member
    looks like one is a cool hub and the other a greased hub,i would make them the same,also looks like you only have one brake working the one with a grease buddy looks to be not working

The center cap comes off with a few taps of a rubber mallet and you can change it out. BTW your brakes don't work!

6. Member
    Well that is a relief to know I can convert the existing hub to grease easily and for little $$. Will keep an eye on it for now and probably change it over the winter time. Yep, brakes no worky and haven't for quite some time I think. Previous owner put a bolt in the tongue to stop the movement and guessing clunking noise. Probably fix that later on too.

THANKS for the help fellas!
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

7. Member
    that's to heavy of boat not to have brakes working right,i would do it all this winter,bearings seals,trailer spring bushing,brakes

Good advice on your hub situation. But, BY ALL MEANS, get those brakes fixed NOW! If you're in an accident, even if it's not your fault, you're going to get sued for failing to have properly working brakes...and depending on state law, also possibly a citation.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments