Thread: Jumping Ship

Jumping Ship

Jumping ship to Garmin for their Livescope system versus Lowrances Livesight.

The Garmin will be used exclusively for Livescope mounted on its own pole. I will continue to use my Lowrance units for all else.

I'm researching the Garmin Echomap 122sv Ultra with the gt54 uhd transducer and base map with the LVS 32.

Any and all input from the users in the know regarding the pros/cons /recommendations of unit choice or a different direction would be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If you want to use the GT54, your only choice for a unit would be an Ultra or 8600 model....so, now it would come down to cost and the Ultra 12" would be cheaper than the 8612......you say you plan on using it only for LS then there is no need for mapping.....I think that would be a great choice.....i have the 126 Ultra on my dash and love it.....now if you dont use the GT54 then your choices in units go up.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I chose the GT54 because that was the transducer shown with the Ultra unit. Not a requirement.

With my current setup I'm using 2 HDS 10's at the bow with the transducers on its own mount(and 2-10's at the console with their transducers mounted on the stern) , each locations units setup is generally for map/sonar and the other for down/side view. All units are ether netted and nmea 2000 connected together.

The Garmin unit would replace one of the HDS units at the bow and I could also mount its dv/sv transducer with the HDS's for comparison purposes.

So I guess I could actually use one of the GPSMAP units or the Ultra unit.

If I understand correctly for adding future Garmin products the Ultra Echomaps only communicate with other Echomaps and the GPSMAPS only communicate with other GPSMAPS? What type of cable is used for communication purposes: ethernet style or nmea 2000?

Not fully understanding the Garmin product line what would be the choice between the GPSMAP and the Ultra line of products? I understand there is ample reasons/uses/needs for choosing one over the other.

4. Banned
    Not sure why you want/need anything but the Livescope? My garmin does nothing else and I have no other transducer connected.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    Not sure why you want/need anything but the Livescope? My garmin does nothing else and I have no other transducer connected.
    I agree 100% with what he says. Been using Livescope only for the last 6 months or so at the bow. I have zero use for any other unit. If I need to I'll look at the map on this unit but haven't need to do that often. I would recommend the biggest unit you can afford. I had a 9, it was good but I upgraded to the new Ultra 1222 and it is a world of difference.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The Garmin unit would replace one of the HDS units at the bow and I could also mount its dv/sv transducer with the HDS's for comparison purposes.
    You can do that if you want to, its all up to you.

So I guess I could actually use one of the GPSMAP units or the Ultra unit.
    Either....IMO, if you plan on using ONLY LS then why spend the extra money for features that wont be used. Now one thing different is the GPSmap series you can record your screen; with Ultra you can not.

If I understand correctly for adding future Garmin products the Ultra Echomaps only communicate with other Echomaps and the GPSMAPS only communicate with other GPSMAPS? What type of cable is used for communication purposes: ethernet style or nmea 2000?
    That is correct, will only communicate with its own. They use both N2K and ethernet but ethernet is for sharing sonar, waypoints, etc.

Not fully understanding the Garmin product line what would be the choice between the GPSMAP and the Ultra line of products? I understand there is ample reasons/uses/needs for choosing one over the other.
    GPSmap features have thinkg like screen mirrioring, radar and other features that the Ultra does not. I read where some guys get the Plus model and want to record thier LS but cant cause its not a feature with the lower units. So just depends on features you want.

Not sure why you want a transducer if you are only going to use it the LS.

I run a 93sv+ for LS only. I am legally blind and the 9" screen is more than big enough. And half the price of the others. Dont forget you are seeing blobs, so screen size and resolution really isn't that big of a deal.

8. Member
    GPSmap features have thinkg like screen mirrioring, radar and other features that the Ultra does not. I read where some guys get the Plus model and want to record thier LS but cant cause its not a feature with the lower units. So just depends on features you want.[/QUOTE]

F C, Royt, Pfisher, MonteSS , thank you all for your time and input and suggestions. After more research I like the idea of recording some of the LS viewings so I'm leaning heavily towards the GPSMAP 1222xsv unit without a transducer as was suggested versus the Echomap Ultra. If I configured the 1222xsv correctly is was actually less than the Ultra 122sv.
    Very similar functions of the 2 when comparing on the Garmin web site. Don't need touch or polarized or micro sd cards(ultra), would rather have the recording option(GPS). Again personal preference.
    Am I missing something that would be a red flag with me leaning toward the GPSMAP 1222xsv

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Just note that on the 1222xsv, it does not have any sonar ports. So you cant just add a transducer one day, you would have to buy an external sonar box with transducer to have sonar on the unit....

10. Member
    Jeremy. You mixed up Garmin's naming convention on GPSMAP units. 1222 without any added letters-no sonar built-in. "xsv" added, like 1222xsv has 2d, ClearVu and SideVu built-in and a 12 pin port. There's not a 1222xs but "xs" on GPSMAPs ordinarily means the unit has 2d and ClearVu built-in and an 8 pin transducer port. like 942xs.

The naming on the echomaps don't follow this or at least not so far. "cv" on them means 2d and ClearVu. "sv" on them means 2d, ClearVu and SideVu.

Now if I've mixed this up, Todd will have to come in and explain it.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    @ Leonard......gotcha....wasnt paying attention.

@ the OP, with that said, that should be good choice.