Thread: Gut Hooked Fish

Gut Hooked Fish

Lately, my son has been doing more live bait fishing for smallies on some of the rivers in the area. As a result, a few have been hooked quite deep. Here is a good short video I found for my son on how to remove those fish that are hooked deep. It was easier than trying to explain to him. I know all of us on BBC already know everything , and are probably using this technique or a similar one. If not, here you go:

2. Member
    Many times over the years I've had to do that. Only lost one that I know of.

3. robdy72
    That's a good video.

4. Member
    I've used the technique before and once used I was amazed how easy it was and less stressful on the fish.

I’ve done that thousands of times when a smallie has engulfed a tube. I bought a cheap pair of hemostats/forceps as they are much thinner and less bulky than even the smallest needle nose pliers.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    I bought one similar to this and it works really well. It turns the hook when you squeeze it and the hook pops out.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-squeeze-out-hook-remover

7. Member
    Live bait use a circle hook.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bend View Post
    Live bait use a circle hook.
    I have to agree with that.

9. Banned
    I don't even try just cut the line and throw them back or in the livewell for dinner.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    I don't even try just cut the line and throw them back or in the livewell for dinner.
    If you just cut the line, you are leaving a stainless hook in the throat that will likely cause complications and eventually lead to a slow death. Also, that is fine if you are fishing a water that has plenty of fish but some places like smallmouth streams and rivers, it is important to try and preserve the larger fish.

11. Member
    Why not just use circle hooks? Thats what we've been using for years when bait fishing. Almost never gut hook a fish.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now