Getting an upgrade.

Thank you for the add. I'm a long time Northern California fisherman, who never fished in any tournament other than the friends challenge. My old boat is a 1989 17ft Tracker I have had for 10 years. I am going to look at, and possibly pick up a new boat tomorrow, a 1989 ranger 375v. With a yamaha 150. It has some damage due to a small grass fire next to the shed it was kept in. I have fished out of it many times since the fire, and there are no leaks, no problems with the motor, no bubbles in the gel. There is some discoloration though. It runs great, and he changed out everything rubber on the motor, even though there was no visible heat damage under the cowl. Its clean, it fishes well, and the price seems right. Its my buddys dad, and I've known him since I was a kid. Like 38 years. Im a handy guy, so I can fix the bump rail, and make a cowl cover.

My question is, am I asking for a problem, buying a boat this old, with this kind of work to be done. He's asking 3k, I can probably work it down to 2500. We are going out on the lake tomorrow, and giving it a rundown.
    Attached Images Attached Images

She looks great! Super clean. That rub rail is easily fixed, and Im willing to bet that cowling can be found somewhere on eBay.
    Congrats!and welcome to BBC

3. Banned
    You can run that all over Cherry Creek on Lake Sonoma especially at $2750 (buddy discount)

4. Member
    That looks like a great upgrade. Rub rail is an easy fix on a hot day, Sounds and looks like it was well taken care of. Should have many more years of service in it.

That rig looks very, very good for it's age. Those old Yamaha motors were just about bullet proof. The cosmetic issues can be repaired with a little work or being taken to a good marina that does this kind of work. I'd say that the price is right!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Thank you. Yes I think this might be the one to get me started in the glass boat game.

7. Member
    As far as Sonoma goes, I think ill stick to the tracker. Lmao.... I have hit more tree tops, and been high centered while on the TM, than I care to admit. Lol I only fish it every so often, and it changes so much when the water level drops. Learning curve for sure.

8. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    My 374V are the same colors and she fishes well ,you can find a cowl on ebay or somewhere I'm sure and the rubrail easy fix ,for that price go for it you will enjoy it
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

9. Member
    Looks like a bargain.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

10. Member
    Cool boat go for it.

11. Member
    Well I pulled the trigger. He let it go for 2800. I felt like I got a crazy good deal. Lake tested great, starts, idles, and bounces up on pad quick. First run out I pulled 58 on the stock speedo. Hoping to get a Garmin, and gps it next week. Thanks for your input everyone, it helped me make the call for sure. There are the small cosmetic things to address, but overall.......Im one happy mofo!
    Last edited by 707fisherman; 08-25-2019 at 02:40 AM.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 707fisherman View Post
    As far as Sonoma goes, I think ill stick to the tracker. Lmao.... I have hit more tree tops, and been high centered while on the TM, than I care to admit. Lol I only fish it every so often, and it changes so much when the water level drops. Learning curve for sure.

Then hit Rodman Slough with a Blk/Blu jig and hit both sides as they fork.. I Caught & Released a 14.14 back in 1986 so it ought to be around 45 lbs now ..

Enjoy Your new Floater and an extra 2 yards to get Her right...

13. Member
    Damn, that's a beast of a fish. I live in Ukiah so I get to fish Rodman quite a bit on the tracker. Its the only place on that big mother I feel safe fishing. A buddy and I nearly sank it down by the narrows. The Ranger should open up some options for me. I have not hit the 10lb mark but Im working on it.