VMax HPDI 225 Oil Consumption

Speaking to all Vmax runners out there. Would anyone be willing to share what their general oil usage is for a full tank of gas? I am under the impression that I am burning way too much oil for the amount of gas I am burning. I have spoken with Yamaha technicians and all they will say is that there has never been anything published which states the amount of oil used per gallon of gas. I would say for about every 20-30 gallons of gas I burn I am going through a half gallon of oil (yamalube 2 stroke). Needless to say it’s getting annoying topping off the oil reservoir every morning I hit the ramp and not to mention very expensive. If I am right in my assumption that there is a calibration issue with the oil injectors, does anyone have any advice for a service route to take care of this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    I would say if your near 50 to 1 that's pretty good. Some are seeing 25

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    1/2 gallon for 25 gallon of gas is 50:1. Sounds like you're pretty close to where you should be.

4. Member
    Verify that the oil pump control rod has not become dislodged. In which case the pump will default to the maximum oiling setting.

If you have a 3 gallon oil tank (typical size) I am surprised to read that you are having to be adding oil each morning. At 50:1 are you really going through 150 gallons a day?

Use Pennzoil TC-W3 for better oiling and to reduce costs.

5. Member
    What oil tank are you topping off daily? The engine mounted smaller tank?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp10 View Post
    What oil tank are you topping off daily? The engine mounted smaller tank?
    That is what it sounds like to me. If so, trouble is brewing.

7. Member
    My 250 i use about a gallon of oil per 3/4 full tank run thru. Not sure how that is for ratio, but seems to be about what i run.

8. Member
    All depends on the RPM. On my 200 HPDI, if I keep her around 4500 RPM-50 MPH, doesn't seem to use hardly any. But, running WOT, she will drink the oil.

9. Member
    Well it must be pretty close to where it should be then. I am referring to the external tank on the boat not the motor. There appears to be a max min fill lime and I keep the oil within that range. Generally that requires adding oil every trip to top off. Does anyone else use non brand specific oil? I have always used yamalube but would definitely be open to cheaper options.

10. Member
    Amsoil HP Injector oil
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

11. Member
    I use cabelas semi synthetic. Been using since fresh rebuild 2 seasons ago. Seems to work well. Much cheaper.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chindog47 View Post
    Well it must be pretty close to where it should be then. I am referring to the external tank on the boat not the motor. There appears to be a max min fill lime and I keep the oil within that range. Generally that requires adding oil every trip to top off. Does anyone else use non brand specific oil? I have always used yamalube but would definitely be open to cheaper options.
    I don't recall there being a max min fill line on the tank. No reason to have one. The tank can be completely filled. Top it off.

If a certain Yamaha tachometer is installed it will tell you when the boat tank is low and needs to be refilled. Without one, if and when the main tank gets low because the boat tank gets low on oil it will sound the alarm and put the motor into RPM reduction mode. You can then add oil to the boat mounted tank. It will automatically refill the motor mounted tank.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    I don't recall there being a max min fill line on the tank. No reason to have one. The tank can be completely filled. Top it off.

If a certain Yamaha tachometer is installed it will tell you when the boat tank is low and needs to be refilled. Without one, if and when the main tank gets low because the boat tank gets low on oil it will sound the alarm and put the motor into RPM reduction mode. You can then add oil to the boat mounted tank. It will automatically refill the motor mounted tank.
    There are two dashes on the side of the boat oil tank. I keep the oil level within those two dashes. I have had the low oil alarm go off before but that has been maybe 2 times in two years and all I did was shut the motor off turn back on and the alarm shut off. Clearly a misread from the sensor. I have never added oil to the tank located on the motor.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chindog47 View Post
    There are two dashes on the side of the boat oil tank. I keep the oil level within those two dashes. I have had the low oil alarm go off before but that has been maybe 2 times in two years and all I did was shut the motor off turn back on and the alarm shut off. Clearly a misread from the sensor. I have never added oil to the tank located on the motor.
    There is no reason to add oil to the remote tank until it indicates that it is low. If you want to continue to add oil unnecessarily that is your call.

Once the remote tank gets low the main tank will continue to provide oil to the motor. If and when the main tank gets low the alarm will sound. You can then use the toggle switch to transfer the rest of the oil from the remote tank to the main tank. I think you can do this three times. Or you can then refill the remote tank and all will be well again.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    There is no reason to add oil to the remote tank until it indicates that it is low. If you want to continue to add oil unnecessarily that is your call.

Once the remote tank gets low the main tank will continue to provide oil to the motor. If and when the main tank gets low the alarm will sound. You can then use the toggle switch to transfer the rest of the oil from the remote tank to the main tank. I think you can do this three times. Or you can then refill the remote tank and all will be well again.
    Im not trying to dismiss what you are saying but I am not understanding how adding oil to the remote tank could be done unnecessarily. Please correct me if I am wrong but it’s not like the oils goes somewhere if you continue to add it. It’s clearly being used. I could understand it might not be necessary to add oil until the tank gets low but all that would change is that I would be adding much more oil every time I went to top off. Thanks for your time. I am curious as to your thought process behind this. Just trying to learn.

16. Member
    The lines on the remote tank are simply measurement lines. You can let the tank get almost empty before you add more and it won't hurt a thing. I think what yam911 means by unnecessarily, is that it's not necessary to keep the tank between those lines. Just add oil when it gets close to empty and you won't be constantly adding oil. I usually fill mine when it will hold a full gallon, so it's never below a half a tank or so.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    The lines on the remote tank are simply measurement lines. You can let the tank get almost empty before you add more and it won't hurt a thing. I think what yam911 means by unnecessarily, is that it's not necessary to keep the tank between those lines. Just add oil when it gets close to empty and you won't be constantly adding oil. I usually fill mine when it will hold a full gallon, so it's never below a half a tank or so.
    Thank you for clarifying. That will make life a little easier