Thread: Warm hubs

Warm hubs

Recently had a Vault hub rear seal replaced on my Ranger trailer, first use was today and 150 mile round trip. When I got home put my hand on hub and it was almost to warm to keep it on there [Almost] the other three were warm but not as warm. No sign of oil/ grease on rim. Maybe a sticking caliper?

2. Member
    Maybe castle nut just a mere touch to tight. Could try loosing just 1 slot.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If that is a brake axle, I’d be concerned if it wasn’t warm.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

If a caliper was sticking, there's no way you'd be able to keep your hand on the hub without getting burned. A caliper might be dragging a little more than you'd like. Or, as 5Keepers2 said, it could be that the castle nut is one notch too tight. Let everything cool off and then jack-up the wheel and give it a spin. If the caliper is dragging badly, you should be able to hear it.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Scraps
    If the guts are similar to the old COOL hubs it's pretty easy to overtighten that nut. There is a torque spec but more or less torqued by feel. Which scares my tendency for brute force.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    Used the same dealer mechanic that worked on them before so I don’t have a clue why two seals in a year Said calipers were fine. Asked him about the O ring on spindle that the SS sleeve slides over near the rear seal and he said it didn’t have one. On my recollection of vaults website it shows the use of one? By the way this is 2011 Ranger trailer w Vault / hybrid grease system. I’m gonna jack trailer up and check the tire spin resistance.