Helix Mega shutting off

I got an annoying issue. Every single time I start my big motor my graph shuts completely off. It sucks when running from spot to spot and having to power back on. The stock battery is about 7 months old(not whole of use and always fully charged when I go out) and a 27 series. What could be causing this, thinking of upgrading to a 31 series. Thoughts?
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    27 series isn’t enough info. What CCA and RC?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I would suggest you going on the Humminbird forum and asking them. Two or 3 boats back I had similar issues. I ended up installing a fuse block dedicated to electronics. I ran 30 amps to the fuse block and then ran 10 guage wire to all the electronics unless I could simply hook the power cords directly to the fuse block. I used marine tinned wire, etc. All of my electrical related issues went away. Some say it is voltage drop, etc. In the end I so enjoyed being able to go to one location to look at all fuses for my electronics that I installed the same system on my boats from that day forward. I literally am just finishing doing that to my new 1980 that I haven't even had on the lake yet. Hope to do so tomorrow!

4. Member
    Thicker wire direct to the battery with a blade fuse mounted near the battery positive should cure it. It's caused by the voltage drop when you start the big motor, thicker wires carry the current with less resistance, so reduce the problem. If it still does it after the new wiring, then you have to wonder whether your battery is charging properly.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    I got an annoying issue. Every single time I start my big motor my graph shuts completely off. It sucks when running from spot to spot and having to power back on. The stock battery is about 7 months old(not whole of use and always fully charged when I go out) and a 27 series. What could be causing this, thinking of upgrading to a 31 series. Thoughts?
    Your boat came stocked with 27's? Mine came with 3 31's. I wonder who decides what batteries to stock the boat with??
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

6. Member
    Yep you need a bigger battery, the motor is pulling your amps and shorting your electronics. Had the same issues awhile back with a 27, switched to a 31 and have never gotten a low voltage message or a screen shut down since. Easy fix. 27 is too small for that motor.

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Reference your owner's manual and see what BRP shows for battery requirements and see if what you have meets that. It should be a Marine Cranking or combination, not a Deep Cycle. Before running out an buying a new one, I'd check to make sure all the connections are clean and tight. If it is a flooded cell battery, make sure the water level is where it should be and service with distilled water if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    ...the motor is pulling your amps and shorting your electronics
    The motor is not shorting your electronics. A short blows fuses or gets hot and melts things or starts fires if not protected by a fuse. Your power to your electronics is dropping below the minimum voltage to maintain power either due a loose connection or low voltage at your battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou22 View Post
    Your boat came stocked with 27's? Mine came with 3 31's. I wonder who decides what batteries to stock the boat with??
    2 31's and a 27 cranking. That is standard for all.

9. Member
    2 31's and a 27 cranking. That is standard for all.
    My bad... you are 100% correct. I went out to the boat for a closer look. Yep, a 27 series battery for a Starting battery and 2, 31 series Deep cycle batteries for the TM.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

Humminbird electronics are voltage sensitive. If you look through the manual it will tell you to power the unit directly from the battery, and use 10 gauge wire for the majority of the wire run and then go to 12 gauge wire to connect to the HB power plug. It is in the manual if you doubt what I am saying.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    27 series isn’t enough info. What CCA and RC?
    CA : 1000

CCA: 800

RC: 182

Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    Humminbird electronics are voltage sensitive. If you look through the manual it will tell you to power the unit directly from the battery, and use 10 gauge wire for the majority of the wire run and then go to 12 gauge wire to connect to the HB power plug. It is in the manual if you doubt what I am saying.
    Don't question you. Mine came from the factory rigged, so I guess they can correct if need be. It is my understanding that they used at least 10 gauge wiring. I am hoping for an "easy" fix as I haven't ever rigged a boat myself....so I would undoubtedly make it worse. Just being honest

Don't question you. Mine came from the factory rigged, so I guess they can correct if need be. It is my understanding that they used at least 10 gauge wiring. I am hoping for an "easy" fix as I haven't ever rigged a boat myself....so I would undoubtedly make it worse. Just being honest
    I would not count on the factory to use 10 gauge wire. Just like on some boats you have to pay to upgrade to 6 gauge wire for trolling motors. A lot of manufacturers do not do what they should do because they do not know what you are going to put on a boat. I have always ran my own wires to the battery versus tying into the manufacturers wiring so I have never had this problem. A buddy of mine has a Helix on the bow, and one on the console. When the helix at the console was on he would power the helix at the bow. The bow unit would turn on, go through the start up, and the turn off. I mentioned to him to run the power wires directly to the battery, and I always used 12 gauge for my boats but after he looked hard at the manual HB states to use the 10 gauge and then the 12 gauge. After he did this everything works fine...and he used 12 gauge only.

I never tied into factory wiring because to me it was just common sense to run directly to the battery. When you do this you avoid any possible interference and power issues. Just make sure you fuse it at the battery to make things easier just in case. I would also recommend soldering everything and then use shrink wrap vs. butt connectors and crimping. If you do it right the first time you will never have a problem again.