Upgrading from a 1995 181 to a 1995 202

Good Day,

I'm looking at buying a 95 202C (the ad says 202C, it is a dual console. What does the C mean? What trims came with this model, i.e, Elite or Tournament?). I currently have a 95 181. I fish primarily with my two boys (7 and 9 years old). We are starting to get a little tight on deck space when fishing. I fish the front with one kid and the other kid takes the back deck.

If I move into a 1995 202, will i notice enough increase in front deck space to make it worth the upgrade? Do I get anymore room on rear deck or in driver/passenger console area for leg room? I hear Mountain Home phrase mentioned alot on here, what does that mean and how do I know if this boat is a Mountain Home boat, and is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Also, will this 202 be the same beam as my 181?

Heres a little info on each boat to help with my requests for info/opinions above:

My Current Setup:
    1995 181DC (not elite)
    95 Merc 150 xri
    Cable Steering (Not hydraulic)
    6" Manual Jackplate

Possible Upgrade:
    1995 202DC (Its a dual console, not sure if it is an elite or other trim)
    1997 Mariner 200 Magnum EFI, new lower unit
    6" Manual Jackplate
    New Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    New Carpet
    New Batteries
    No graphs
    24V MinnKota Maxxum troller

Follow Up question,
    Based on the info for the 202, what price should I be looking at ballpark for the 202?

Thanks!
    Austin

2. Banned
    Give us a link to the 202.

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Austin, I'm sure it is a 202DC (dual console). If it is an Elite, then it is a 202DCX. The 2'1" difference in length between the two boats is all in front of the consoles, so all front deck. From the consoles back, the boats are the same, so don't look for increased cockpit area. You'll love the rod boxes on a 20', they are huge. The beam is the same. Mountain Home, AR was where the original factory was, hence Mtn Home boats. When Genmar acquired Champion from the bankruptcy court in early 2002, they moved production to Murfreesboro, TN to the Stratos factory. Those boats are referred to as the TN Champs.

A well worthwhile upgrade in fishing room for you and the boys.
    Been there done that. Do it.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Give us a link to the 202.
    I don't have internet right now to get the link for you

6. Pat Goff
    In 95 the 202 was only an elite hull.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. Member
    I thought maybe the "C" designation in a boat of that vintage stood for Contender but wasn't for certain.
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    My 1995 brochure shows the 202 in both Elite and Contender series.

IMHO, as far as I know, the easiest way to tell which is which is by checking the passenger grab handle. The Elite one is shiny metal. SS maybe. Non-Elite one is a black material. Not sure what the material is.

I know that was the case in1999 and newer models. Probably the same with earlier models.
    Last edited by Lea; 08-23-2019 at 04:54 PM.