Thread: GFI outlets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GFI outlets

When I unplugged the charger in the garage yesterday morning I forgot to put the waterproof cover on the thru-hull outlet. I noticed it after my third stop of the day and put it on. I didn't give it another thought.

When I got home I opened the garage door, backed the boat in, and plugged in the charger. After doing a few things I noticed that the charger wasn't on and I didn't have any power in the garage. After checking the main breaker I remembered the plug and sure enough it had tripped the GFI outlet. I bypassed the thru-hull plug and everything was back to normal.

While I am happy the outlet in the garage worked as intended I started thinking about times I have gone on vacation and kept the boat in a slip with the charger plugged in. I know there have been times when it has rained. While I don't remember checking to see if I was plugged into a GFI outlet it is hard to believe it would not have been.

Any thoughts on why rain would not have caused the GFI to trip?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Interesting ..
    I've forgot my cover several times for a full day on the water and never had an issue when plugging in.. What brand is it.

3. Member
    Marinco.

thats what mine are.
    is yours mounted to where it acts like a cup and the water stays in ? or will it run back out ?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    thats what mine are.
    is yours mounted to where it acts like a cup and the water stays in ? or will it run back out ?
    Here is a picture after I took it apart to dry it out.

When mounted it is on roughly a 45d angle, so some water could stay in it. I would think that how much would depend on whether the boat was moving or not.

6. Banned
    Some gfci’s are more sensitive, the older they get, the worse they tend to get. But all of them should trip when they sense water. Odds are that it soaked into the female spots and when you had the plug attached at previous locations, it didn’t get down into the grooves.

7. Member
    Actually, the thru-hull plug is the male end.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Actually, the thru-hull plug is the male end.

Is there anyway for the water to soak down though the male prongs.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Is there anyway for the water to soak down though the male prongs.
    There must be since water was in the inside when I took it apart. The only explanation I can think of as to why rain did not create a problem is that when a cord was plugged into it there was less room for water and it overflowed before seeping in.

10. Banned
    You can smear some dielectric grease in there and it should help keep water out.

11. Member
    The plug in is angled so water would puddle in the bottom of it. With GFI you don't need a puddle in there. Just enough moisture to get that minuscule current flow to ground it takes to trip it. Can,t say what you had on your trip but unless it is very remote they would have GFI on the circuit. Are the extensions in good shape with intact grounding is more likely why they didn't trip. GFI could also be installed improperly.

12. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    I started thinking about times I have gone on vacation and kept the boat in a slip with the charger plugged in
    GFI Ha! At a lake you get what you get.

In East Texas, I paid $5 extra for AC power to charge my batteries. I was handed a metal ladder and an extension cord with no ground wire and 2 alligator clips crimped on end instead of a an AC plug. I asked where do I connect the extension cord. They pointed upwards to a utility company power line pole with the utility company s power lines that were missing insulation.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 08-25-2019 at 10:10 AM.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    GFI Ha! At a lake you get what you get.

In East Texas, I paid $5 extra for AC power to charge my batteries. I was handed a metal ladder and an extension cord with no ground wire and 2 alligator clips crimped on end instead of a an AC plug. I asked where do I connect the extension cord. They pointed upwards to a utility company power line pole with the utility company s power lines that were missing insulation.

14. Member
    You could get a portable gfci plug and use it if you’re not sure about the outlet. It will create a gfci outlet even if you plug your extension cord into a regular outlet. There are many different ones out there but here is one that has worked well for me and it is rated for outdoor use. You can even get ones that have multiple outlets built into the cord. Good Luck
    https://www.amazon.com/GFCI-Inline-S...gateway&sr=8-7
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

15. Member
    Thanks for the responses. I think I have it figured out.

We were staying at a high end rental. In the picture below you can see the electrical box on the right side behind the hot tub. The outlet is right beside it. I think it is inconceivable that it did not have a GFI installed. Also hard to believe it didn't work properly.

Next, the extension cord I used was a brand new 12/3 that I got for this trip. We can rule that out.

Finally when I reassembled the plug I noticed that there was a very small hole in the housing to let water out. I think the female plug of the cord covered the male prongs tight enough to give some insulation, and the hole took care of the small amount of water that could have gotten in from rain. On the water it was a different story. The backwash from coming off plane would have flooded the plug and overwhelmed the small hole until it eventually drained out. Keep in mind I did this three times before discovering it. Enough water seeped into the inner plug housing to trip the GFI.

I got it all dried out and put back together. Everything is working fine now.

16. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    You could get a portable gfci plug and use it if you’re not sure about the outlet. It will create a gfci outlet even if you plug your extension cord into a regular outlet.
    Before using portable GFCI, need to use a plug tester on the source to see if it passes with a valid ground and common/hot not being reversed....else it does not create a GFCI source for you.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Before using portable GFCI, need to use a plug tester on the source to see if it passes with a valid ground and common/hot not being reversed....else it does not create a GFCI source for you.
    Very good point to mention. I just do that naturally and that’s why I use an electrical tester that can test for all that including “false bootleg grounds”. Those $6 gfci testers won’t detect “bootleg grounds” but most people don’t want to spend $200+ for a circuit tester that can test everything but I’m sure this info isn’t new to you. I guess the next best thing is just using one of the cheap GFCI testers from Home Depot, Lowe’s or Harborfreight before connecting the portable GFCI plug.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    When I unplugged the charger in the garage yesterday morning I forgot to put the waterproof cover on the thru-hull outlet. I noticed it after my third stop of the day and put it on. I didn't give it another thought.

When I got home I opened the garage door, backed the boat in, and plugged in the charger. After doing a few things I noticed that the charger wasn't on and I didn't have any power in the garage. After checking the main breaker I remembered the plug and sure enough it had tripped the GFI outlet. I bypassed the thru-hull plug and everything was back to normal.

While I am happy the outlet in the garage worked as intended I started thinking about times I have gone on vacation and kept the boat in a slip with the charger plugged in. I know there have been times when it has rained. While I don't remember checking to see if I was plugged into a GFI outlet it is hard to believe it would not have been.

Any thoughts on why rain would not have caused the GFI to trip?
    I drilled a small weep hole in my outlet to allow the water to drain should it gather in the receptacle.. Problem solved.

19. Member
    I don't use Marinco,anything. Both of the ones I had fell apart, and held moisture when it was raining. I have a wiring system similar to Deutsch. I'm not sure where I got them from. I ordered online. Been 5 years with absolutely no issues. I still have the Marinco TM kit. Gander mountain threw it in free when I purchased my Terrova.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    I drilled a small weep hole in my outlet to allow the water to drain should it gather in the receptacle.. Problem solved.
    This, my friends, is an ounce of prevention.
    I also think mounting an electrical device in the splashwell is asking for trouble, but that's just me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast