Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quieting dilled exhaust

1996 200 EFI
    serial 0G350086

I recently purchased a used boat and the original owner had the exhaust drilled. I dont actually know exactly what was done , as i did not puchase from the original owner.

What is the process of doing it? And is there a way to reverse it as i dont like the race sound

Need to know where it was drilled.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

3. Member
    I agree, nothing is evident from the outside.

4. Member
    look on the flat area just above cav plate if its done like pmax,only way is disassemble mid see whats removed probly inner can and repair,if its on a heavier boat you will gain low end perf back
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    look on the flat area just above cav plate if its done like pmax,only way is disassemble mid see whats removed probly inner can and repair,if its on a heavier boat you will gain low end perf back
    +1

Most common methods were to drill holes in the Driveshaft Housing and remove the Exhaust bucket (aka: can). Really kills the bottom end "grunt" for most applications.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    If i drop the lower unit will i be able to see anything or does the powerhead need to come off? Ive heard to do it you have to take thepowerhead off and drill out from that way.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You can "look" up in the exhaust to see if the Bucket or Can is present. To do any real replacement or installations, the powerhead and adapter plate must come off.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Here is a pic of what was done.

FE5EF908-49C9-464C-9A21-1D54A3A2BF08.jpeg

Is there an easy way to block these off?

9. Member
    problem is still inside gotta come apart
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    You could tap and plug the holes

11. Member
    Only way to tap them would be from inside correct?

12. Member
    only way I know and you said easy , so if ya go as far as inside just have um welded up then and repair whats been done to can for complete repair , good luck sir

Goop the holes up with some good silicone.

14. Member
    If i just get the holes welded and dont repair the can will it affect anything? Does anyone have any parts laying around that would work to make the repair?

15. Member
    sure it will it will be much quieter , but as far as parts if you disassemble it you may only need to weld can also, but yes theres lots a parts around for it , try the parts section on here

16. Member
    If they removed the can, the motor becomes extremely hard on the shift shaft seal. Gets REAL hot in there if exhaust can go everywhere. That looks like a poor mod to me. Those holes are not very big. We used to do this back in the 90's, but we would cut a 4" hole in the back of the mid-section to help get exhaust out. We were basically turning 200s into mercury racing motors, that was just one of the many mods needed. Those small holes don't look very useful to me...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DC88 View Post
    1996 200 EFI
    serial 0G350086

I recently purchased a used boat and the original owner had the exhaust drilled. I dont actually know exactly what was done , as i did not puchase from the original owner.

What is the process of doing it? And is there a way to reverse it as i dont like the race sound
    Hello DC88, when do you notice a "race sound"? my motor has the same holes as yours and I believe the can removed but no noticeable sound increase to me. I did not even know about this mod before this motor and have heard conflicting reports about it being done in the field only, or Merc doing it to some bass boat motors.

18. Member
    It has a noticable sound when started and race sound during holeshot/getting on plane. Its so noticable that the only two tournaments ive fished out of it, people make comments before blast off. Ha

19. Member
    sound like open headers and big cam ?????? mabe someone changed cam toooo

I'd find another can and liner before I wasted time and money getting yours welded. They're not hard to find either. If you wanna keep your can just take it apart, tap the holes and put screw some plugs in there. Chances are your liner is gone so you'll want one of those too. Seriously though, take some silicone and fill the holes and see what you think. Cheap and easy and isn't gonna hurt anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast