Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    If they removed the can, the motor becomes extremely hard on the shift shaft seal. Gets REAL hot in there if exhaust can go everywhere. That looks like a poor mod to me. Those holes are not very big. We used to do this back in the 90's, but we would cut a 4" hole in the back of the mid-section to help get exhaust out. We were basically turning 200s into mercury racing motors, that was just one of the many mods needed. Those small holes don't look very useful to me...
    I thought merc drilled holes like that at the factory on some of the 260s at one point.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

2. Member
    and promax mtrs
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Depending on the diameter of those holes- you might be able to find casting plugs to fit them. Sure, not perfect but better than silicone and cheaper than welding.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Where do i find casting plugs, not sure what those are

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Napa, Carquest, Etc. Like a freeze plug.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I’ve also seen people fill them with JB weld. It sets up hard as a rock
    Allison XB21 2+2 with Mercury 300R

7. Member
    I've seen em tapped and use npt plugs (or whatever they called) can also (tune) the slip

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc2.4 View Post
    I've seen em tapped and use npt plugs (or whatever they called) can also (tune) the slip
    Pipe plugs are certainly a viable option- good point. Not sure I understand how they would "tune" the slip, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12