Muck Removal Projects Planned for Lake Okeechobee next year

About time the state and FWC does something to actually improve the water quality and plant life in the lake. By the way do you think that as soon as anything grows in these areas that the FWC will come back and spray the living crap out of it just like they are doing now on the lake yet there literally is nothing left to spray anymore

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by esdbass View Post
    About time the state and FWC does something to actually improve the water quality and plant life in the lake. By the way do you think that as soon as anything grows in these areas that the FWC will come back and spray the living crap out of it just like they are doing now on the lake yet there literally is nothing left to spray anymore
    They have scraped it before. Just the BIG money wheel spinning. Nothing to do with the quality. Money, Money, Money.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by esdbass View Post
    I don't know, but you mention spraying. When things like in this link, and other things happen, I always wonder if all that spraying plays a part.
    https://amp-floridatoday-com.cdn.amp...F2070241001%2F

Then in south florida they have dogs, panthers, bobcats and animals hardly able to walk. It just gets me wondering if it has something to do with it. In a article, they talk about rat poison and such. But what about all the poisons in the water?
    Just makes me think about it.

5. Member
    Ok its Friday and I have had a couple of beers and I got the tinfoil hat nearby so here it goes. I have seen several groups and organizations on Facebook ripping into agriculture as the source of all the problems for the water quality. Are they spraying in Okeechobee to make the water discharges bad to pin the blame on agriculture so that developers can come in and develop areas north of the lake? I know this is crazy but America does have a history of land grabs and other more shady antics when it come to land development. I will re-read this tomorrow when I'm sober and will probably regret it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    Ok its Friday and I have had a couple of beers and I got the tinfoil hat nearby so here it goes. I have seen several groups and organizations on Facebook ripping into agriculture as the source of all the problems for the water quality. Are they spraying in Okeechobee to make the water discharges bad to pin the blame on agriculture so that developers can come in and develop areas north of the lake? I know this is crazy but America does have a history of land grabs and other more shady antics when it come to land development. I will re-read this tomorrow when I'm sober and will probably regret it.
    They must want to grab all the land, Because they spray and kill the weeds in every body of water in the state. Not just Okeechobee
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl

7. Member
    If this hurricane hits then it is really going to be a mess at the Lake if it stirs up all that muck together with a lot of rain which may cause them to release more water.

If this hurricane hits then it is really going to be a mess at the Lake if it stirs up all that muck together with a lot of rain which may cause them to release more water.
    ...which in turn floods our estuaries, causing more muck water out into the bays, promoting red tide and less revenue to our already battered tourist infrastructure due to dead fish floating on our shores.

Its only a matter of time!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

9. Member
    It is at 13.52 as of today. I have seen it close to 18. That is almost 4 1/2 foot higher. They get all scared about the dike. They been working on that thing forever. You would think it could handle more then it used to. It would take quite of bit of rain to bring Okeechobee up another 54 inches. But they will get scared and dump it.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl

10. Member
    They haven't been releasing any water now since about late May and lake has risen about 2.5-3' in that span of time. It should have another 1-2' more after Monday.

11. Member
    That storm is tracking right over the lake. I really hope it doesn’t damage the dikes or it could get real bad if there is a breach.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arethaz View Post
    They haven't been releasing any water now since about late May and lake has risen about 2.5-3' in that span of time. It should have another 1-2' more after Monday.
    15-16 FT is what it was as normal back 15+ years ago
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl